Skip to main content

Beauty at BMEX

BMEX (The Barbados Manufacturers' Exhibition) was held from June 27 - 30 this year and I was pleased to see a few brands from the local beauty community present.
Tradeshows and expos such as BMEX and Girlfriend's Expo give brands an opportunity to reach a wider variety of persons. These events make it possible to: test new products, gain customer feedback, increase brand awareness as well as sell products (and sometimes services) on the spot.
Jolie Cosmetics, Colour Coded Makeup, Essential Trends and Make Up Doll Cosmetics were the beauty brands I had a chance to see. If you follow me on keek, you would have seen that I was at BMEX assisting at the Clever Grocer booth. As a result, I didn't have a chance to take as many photos for you as I would have liked.
I did snap a few though.

Shaniqua Trotman, Founder of Jolie Cosmetics www.modenmakeup.com
Shaniqua Trotman, Founder of Jolie Cosmetics

Luckily I got to chat with Shaniqua and wish Jolie Cosmetics a happy birthday. The Company is 1 year old and celebrated with a return to BMEX as well as a limited edition potted lipstick line. I finally got a chance to  purchase a couple lipglosses I've been lusting after for myself and some friends. Since Jolie's lip products are such a hit with you blog viewers I also got something for a future giveaway. *cheers* As I've said before, we highly recommend Jolie Cosmetics because the products are high quality and the prices won't break the bank.

Jolie Cosmetics haul www.modenmakeup.com
Jolie Cosmetics haul

I also had to stop by Essential Trends to get a Sleek product. Essential Trends is currently the only place in Barbados where you can purchase items from Sleek and Sugarpill Cosmetics. I was very interested in Sleek's new Blemish Balm Cream and will be testing and comparing it to the Maybelline and Garnier ones that I have. Thankfully, Dee (Beauty Director) had also restocked the infamous Blush by 3s (check out my Sleek rave here) and I picked one for a blog giveaway as well. If you haven't gotten the hint, follow this blog cause lots of axxion going down in the months to come.

Sleek Makeup haul www.modenmakeup.com
Essential Trends haul

Right next to the Essential Trends booth was Colour Coded. The Founders, Danielle and LaShawn, were offering glitter tattoos as well as makeovers but you know I went for the products. At Colour Coded you can purchase bdellium tools brushes (sets or singles) as well as Graftobian foundations, concealers and powders. They also recently added the Ben Nye Luxury powders to their product range. I'm still in blush brush hunting mode so I decided to pick this one up

bdellium tools 942 brush www.modenmakeup.com
bdellium tools 942

I really appreciated the price of these brushes -under $30- especially after purchasing so many M.A.C ones for $100+; most aren't worth that.

I didn't get a chance to get up close and personal at the Make Up Doll booth but when I did pass by they looked very busy!

One thing that was missing from BMEX this year for me was bargains. Usually brands have specials going on to attract more customer purchases. I was disappointed to find the products at the very same price that they sell for usually. Brands must remember that in this competitive field, creating added value is what will foster customer loyalty.

Did you attend BMEX last weekend? What did you find most exciting?

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…