Skip to main content

Would I Repurchase? NYX Shine Killer


For those of you not familiar with the Caribbean, we have two seasons: hot and hotter. Thus, the quest for a long lasting primer is very real. As I mentioned in a previous blog post, we don't have access to the vast array of North American or European brands but thankfully NYX products can be found here.

My first hands on - gotta differentiate cause I saw it on YouTube months before I saw it in person - reaction to this product was shock that the ingredients in this and the Pore Filler by the same company are very similar. What's up with that?

NYX Pore Filler and Shine Killer www.modenmakeup.com
Exterior packaging of both products showing the ingredients

Anyhow, I said I'll be a guinea pig for y'all and forked out $30 (seriously?) in Exotica Makeup to test this Shine Killer out.

NYX Shine Killer applied www.modenmakeup.com
First time I applied and actually remembered to take a picture. Approximately 9 pm.

Due to the Dimethicone ((also called polymethylsiloxane) is a silicon-based polymer used as a lubricant and conditioning agent) in the product, it applies very smoothly and gives the skin an even texture. The product is transparent and will not alter the shade of base placed over it. In this particular instance I used a liquid foundation over this primer, no moisturiser was used before applying this product. I set that with a powder foundation as normal.

NYX Shine Killer wear test www.modenmakeup.com
#ShineKillWhat? Photo taken at approximately 1 am.

For those of you whom don't know of my nocturnal roamings, I work for "the man" in a nightclub. Mostly in air condition but I do keep the office a little warmer cause these old bones can't handle the 18 degree temperature like my co-workers. That said, looka dat picture. Stupse. 

In this product's defence, it does perform better under cream foundation. I tested it again, applying my Iman Second To None in just the areas where I had hyper pigmentation and it performed wayyyyyyy better. I imagine it would work well for those of you with dry skin since the active ingredients all have lubricating qualities. 

So would I repurchase? No. I need something that works for oily skin no matter what I put over it. Whether you decide to buy this would depend on your skin type and how long you need your make-up to last.

For anyone interested, I'm selling the rest of my tube for $10 at the blog sale this Saturday. #ShamelessPlug, I know right!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…