Skip to main content

Would I Repurchase? Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub vs St. Ives Blemish Control Apricot Scrub

Lemme tell you, all face scrubs are not created equal. So to answer the question straight away; I would repurchase both of these, for different reasons.

Let's get into it.

I first heard about Biore when their Pore Strips were all the rage. I'm not sure if I ever tried them, but I'm always tempted to. Recently I heard a vlogger on YouTube rave about their Pore Unclogging Scrub; she had repurchased it several times. So I was like, why not?

As seen in Diamond Girl, Broad Street

In contrast, I was very familiar with St. Ives products and therefore excited to see them re-brand and add more to the line. A very welcomed addition is the Blemish Control range which targets persons with acne prone skin.

Well loved

Apricot Scrub (left), Pore Unclogging Scrub (right)


Points to note:

Texture - the Apricot Scrub is definitely more coarse, though not as coarse as it was years ago. The base of the St. Ives product is more like a lotion whereas the Biore is more like a gel/wax.

Packaging - as you can see above, it's that tube like container with the dispenser at the bottom. I never liked this type of packaing for scrubs because you can't get all the product out without cutting off the top. Both companies have given their products a facelift, so they're up-to-de-time with snagging women with attractive packaging.

Size - the Apricot Scrub is 6 oz while the Pore Unclogging Scrub is 5 oz.

Price - St. Ives is less expensive (and more readily available).

Ingredients - both contain 2% salicylic acid. They also both have in alcohol and fragrance. The strangest component, to me, in the Apricot Scrub is corn meal. O_o

Use - Due to it's softer texture the Biore is great for the face because it's spherical beads exfoliate without leaving your skin feeling cut up. It also has a warm sensation. St. Ives have really made their Apricot Scrub less rough but it still feels like something you could use on the body as well. I especially like to use it on my elbows, knees and armpits. TMI?
I often use the Apricot Scrub after I've washed my face with a liquid/bar soap but the Biore I would use on it's own. Both products are gentle enough for every day use. Neither of these I would use on my Clarisonic

Results - I always have quite a few cleansers in rotation so I wouldn't attribute great skin to any one in particular; unless it was really knocking my socks off. That said, a scrub is always present on my shower caddy and I would repurchase either of these depending on what I felt my skin required at the time.

Have you given either of these a try? Share your experience in the comments.




Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…