Skip to main content

Top and Base Coats

Here's looking at you Victoria!

In my last nail polish post I wanted to include these items but I figured you were already scrolling forever.

So quickly I'll run down the top and base coats I've been using recently. The number one issue I have with my nails is peeling therefore I'm always looking for something to prevent/fix that.

CND Solar Oil and Sticky Base Coat

This year I went a little Creative Nail Design (CND) crazy. I bought a bunch of those mini Solar Oils from Bio Beauty to give to customers who spent a bit in our blog sale. Then I had to try their new Vinylux polishes; I'll post a full overview on those once I've tried them a bit more. ***update*** overview here.

Right, so the Sticky Base Coat is "designed to anchor colour to the nail to prevent peeling and chipping". Of course they recommend that you use it in conjunction with other CND products. I find that this formula works ok; just ok nothing revolutionary. I have also purchased the Orly Bonder (months ago) and will do a comparison post when I've finally tried it. #BeautyBloggerProblems. 


As shown in the keek, CND is available from Bio Beauty.

Essie 'A Cut Above' and Feed Me

Technically, Essie Feed Me is an "intense hydration treatment" but the directions do state that you can use it as a base coat. It also says you can wear it alone but I can tell you that it won't last through dish washing. This boast claims of "scientifically proven to hydrate and nourish your nails. Trust me - it was even tested under clinical conditions. 50% more nourished nails in 5 days. 30% improvement in flexibility to prevent splitting. Locks in essential moisture". What's funny here is that the oils in the ingredients list that would nourish your nails are listed after the alcohols that dry them out. Ain't marketing a hellofathing? 
(p.s. 'A Cut Above' is my favourite "special effects" top coat. It looks great over everything because the different sized glitter spreads evenly over your nails. AND it's not a horror to get off).


Feed Me isn't a bad product...but I wouldn't purchase it again.

And here's why:


I have only tried the Intensive Therapy thus far but I am already a Nail Tek believer. Mainly because I have not followed the extensive directions: 
"1. BEGIN with the CRYSTAL FILE to shape your nails, square or rounded. 2. Use STEP ONE to clean and prime nails. 3. TREAT with one coat of the Nail Tek formulation. Polish nail at the half moon, keeping product off skin. Apply to top nail surface only. Allow product to dry fully. 4. COLOR with two coats of your favorite nail polish. 5. PROTECT with two coats of Nail Tek. 6. APPLY DAILY as a top coat over polish. After one week, remove all polish with a non-acetone remove and BEGIN the six steps again"
...and still have seen results. Apply daily? #aintnobodygottimefodat

On a real though, that stuff works. My nails feel stronger immediately. Any peeling I encounter while using this product weekly I attribute to the nail polish remover or sumting else. 

A very very special mention must be made of my favourite ridge filler.

Amazon image. Available from Cave Shepherd.

For a ridiculously long time this was the only base coat I used. Perrrrrrrrrrrfect for when your nails have peeled but you don't want to buff them to an even surface. Absolutely perfect I say. 

On to top coats. I will just cut to the chase. Orly In A Snap is the fastest drying top coat I have ever come across. 

Orly can be purchased from iMart stores

Faster that Seche Vite, OutTheDoor, Sally Hansen Dry Kwik, Essie Good To Go, O.P.I Rapid Dry, Revlon ...alllll of them. So the others have to compete for another title.

As seen in Colleen's Beauty Supply, Bridgetown

I know I did a lil bit of hating on Seche Vite earlier this year. What I said still stands; it is a premier choice for a high gloss finish but it's gets goopy as a mug. As more YouTubers have become ingredient conscious people have stopped using it because it contains "a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm". O_o I still use mine occasionally but I will not be buying another.
Heidi swears by Seche Vite and says her manicures no longer chip. Chipping is something I only experience if I put on too thick a layer of polish. I do experience tip wear with most polishes if I do no wrap (apply polish to the tip -i.e. half moon- of the nail after the first coat) my nails. 


I just tried that OutTheDoor Northern Lights hologram top coat "Gold" for the first time and it gives a really pretty effect to your nail polish. It isn't as thick as Seche Vite but the packaging is hella similar. Expect an update on that when I've used it a couple more times.

In the past I've also used the Extra Life No Chip top coat by Revlon; again just ok. I actually use this on my toes now because pedicures last me forever anyways.

Google image


In the last nail post there were a few recommendations given in the comments that I'm looking forward to trying. Please continue to share your experiences so we can all make informed choices and hopefully save some money.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…