Skip to main content

Top Blushes for 2013 (Lucinda's picks)

As the year draws to a close prepare for the onslaught of "Top..." whatever whatever whatever videos on YouTube. I'm just getting the ball rolling.

If you follow me on keekInstagram or keep up with our Facebook page you know that blush and concealer are constantly fighting for top spot in my heart. The following are the top cheek colours I've enjoyed for the year; in no particular order.

Milani Minerals in 'Sunset Beach'

Tried and true. You've heard me rave about how gorgeous burnt orange looks on our complexion, this gives that look.

Milani Minerals in 'Sunset Beach' - www.modenmakeup.com

Make-up Designory 'Pumpkin'

Same burnt orange theme, this one is just a smidge brighter.

Make-up Designory 'Pumpkin' - www.modenmakeup.com

Sleek Blush by 3 'Sugar'

Errrrrrrrrmahgad! If you love to layer blushes you need this in your life. 'Flame' is gorgeous too.

Sleek Blush by 3 'Sugar' - www.modenmakeup.com

Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush 'Tipsy'

I sang its praises in this video, go check it out.

Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush 'Tipsy' - www.modenmakeup.com

Milani Baked Powder Blush 'Fantastico Mauve'

It really is hard choosing between this and 'Berry Amore'. As I said before, if you have these you don't need the M.A.C mineralized blushes.

Milani 'Fantastico Mauve' vs. M.A.C's 'Stratus' - www.modenmakeup.com
'Fantastico Mauve' is a dupe for M.A.C's Stratus
posted on our Facebook page September 24, 2012

Milani Baked Blushes - www.modenmakeup.com
I miss you 'Berry Amore' (left)

the Balm 'Cabana Boy'

You saw when I hauled this so consider this the review: I LOVE IT. This blends into the skin sooooooo easily without disappearing off your face.

the Balm 'Cabana Boy' - www.modenmakeup.com
That's a heavy swatch

NARS 'Dolce Vita'

This is from the palette also featured in the aforementioned haul. NARS really know to make blush. What I appreciate about this one is the rich deep colour payoff that still has a noticeable sheen.

Nars 'Dolce Vita' -  www.modenmakeup.com
The palette was limited edition but 'Dolce Vita' is available singularly

Revlon A Floral Affair 'Peachy Keen'

Speaking of NARS, this is the closest drugstore dupe to their 'Orgasm' that I've found. Everything about this blush I find attractive: the packaging, the design on the blush and the fact that I got it on sale! #winning

Google image
Sadly, this has been discontinued

Laura Mercier Baked Blush Bronze 'Ritual'

Recently I expressed my love for the Laura Mercier line. I swear this product sent me over the edge. This is the "a brown girl can't over do it" cheek product. It's also multi-purpose since you can use it on the circumference of your face to warm up a foundation that's too light and you could use it in the crease of your eye as a transition colour (I recommend doing that with the burnt orange blushes too btw). Annnnnnd it has a little shimmer so you don't need an additional highlight. Again, if you like to layer blushes this is perfection.
Angels sing when I put this on!

Laura Mercier Baked Blush Bronze 'Ritual' - www.modenmakeup.com

M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish 'Centre Of The Universe'

Don't mind my last post, you know M.A.C had to be up in hey. I initially bought this for the name. I know I know, ridiculous. Packaging and names get me, what can I say?
I've come to love it for the same multi-purpose capabilities as 'Ritual'. A lot of these skinfinishes are glitter bombs and that only emphasises your pores. This one has that lovely burnt orange tone plus a little red which just looks amazing. Additionally, you can concentrate your brush on the gold parts and use that as a highlighter. I especially love doing that above the highest arch of my brows; "instant face lift" a la Wayne Goss

M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish 'Centre Of The Universe' - www.modenmakeup.com
posted on our Facebook page July 11, 2012

Here's the roundup of my favourite blushes from 2012:

posted on our Facebook page January 18, 2013
"Best of 2012: Blush. 
Everybody knows I have blush problems. Ok? My favourites last year were: M.A.C's Mineralize Skinfinish in Centre of the Universe (don't need a highlight with this 1), M.A.C's Coppertone (perfect to pair with bright eye makeup), Revlon's Peachy Keen (looks the same as Nars Orgasm on the skin), Milani's baked blush in Red Vino (I actually liked the majority of these baked blushes), Artdeco's #11 (sooooo compact. Thanks Heidi!) and Kevyn Aucoin's The Creamy Glow in Euphoria (the BEST cream formula I have tried to date)"


See some repeats huh? Let us know what blushes you really enjoyed this year in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…