Skip to main content

Top Ten Eye Products for 2013

Very much like my lip products post this would be more concise if it was my top ten eye shadows but as that isn't really my favourite thing I have expanded the category to include all things eyes. Here goes...

Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks

You knew that was coming. Best cream shadow base I've tried; when they set they're there for the long haul. Amazing colour range. Blend them out with the Sigma P82 as I mentioned here and watch the '1 and done' magic take place. I think my favourite one is still 'Plum' but 'Pink Spark' is kicking butt too. I still want 'Amethyst', 'Cocoa' and 'Khaki'. Lord have mercy.

M.A.C PearlGlide Intense Eye Liner

I think you're gonna get tired of hearing my say '1 and done'...this is a lazy girl's answer to a pop of colour. Blend one of these out on the upper or lower lash line (or both) and scream "I woke up like this". The majority of this line contains some shimmer so it's great for adding dimension. M.A.C artist Vandana loves to blend 'Designer Purple' in her crease cause it makes it look like she applied glitter. Multi purpose liner? #hereforit

Google image

Rimmel ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal

Outstanding on the waterline. Fin.


NYX Retractable Eye Liner 'Silky Cashmere'

Cheap and sweet. You're also probably tired of hearing me go on and on about this. It's just a lovely eye brightener.

NYX Retractable Eye Liner 'Silky Cashmere' - www.modenmakeup.com

Maybelline Define-A-Brow

My brow struggle continues but this has certainly helped to perfect my brows once they're shaped. I especially loved the extra fine tip and the fact that they weren't as expensive as M.A.C brow pencils.

Maybelline Define-A-Brow - www.modenmakeup.com

M.A.C Paint Pots 'Quite Natural' and 'Laying Low'

Immaculate eye primers or stand alone neutral cream shadows for us brown girls.

'Laying Low'
Google image

'Quite Natural'
Google image

Bed Head 4-Play Eyeshadow 'Matte Love'

The only eyeshadow palette I have that has a dent in it. This is a compact neutral quad that can compliment your shimmery/metallic shades or stand alone for an easy daytime eye.

Bed Head 4-Play 'Matte Love' and Wet n Wild 'Walking on Eggshells' - www.modenmakeup.com
posted on our Facebook page October 1, 2012

Black Opal Total Coverage Concealing Foundation

A cheaper alternative to M.A.C Studio Finish Concealer. Perfect for chiseling out the brows. Blends and sets immaculately.

Black Opal Total Coverage Concealing Foundation - www.modenmakeup.com

YSL Effet Faux Cils Shocking

Drama in a tube i.e. very pigmented and provides volume and definition.

YSL Effet Faux Cils Shocking - www.modenmakeup.com
posted on our Facebook page April 23, 2013
REVIEW: YSL Faux Cils Shocking mascara.

The wand is slightly curved (a very unique shape) with fibre bristles of varying lengths. The formula is medium (neither overly wet nor dry) and provides so much drama I'd only wear it at night. The closest mascara I could compare this to was Maybelline's Falsies Flared; it actually smells pretty similar too - a strong scent that I don't care for. 

Availability: on island only in the departure lounge of GAIA. 

Is it worth it? If you like 'high end' products only of course. Personally, mascara is something you have to purchase so often that I don't see the point of overly expensive ones. This mascara in particular is so close to the Maybelline one that I wouldn't pay for it.  

Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadows 'Walking On Eggshells' (Trio) and 'Comfort Zone' (8 pan)

Amazing pigmentation at a great price. You can find a lot of M.A.C eyeshadow dupes in these palettes. My only gripe with these is the shadows are so soft that they shatter if you drop them :(

Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadows - www.modenmakeup.com
Wet n Wild Color Icon 8 pan palettes - www.modenmakeup.com
Wet n Wild 'Poster Child' Eyeshadow Palette - www.modenmakeup.com
Display in iMart

Special mentions:

L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion

Its spiky ball tip at the end of the wand allows you coat every lash for maximum effect.

Older mascara collection - www.modenmakeup.com
That red tube mascara right there blew my socks off since May 2012

M.A.C Pigments 'Tan' and 'Naked'

I used to ignore pigments because I was afraid of the mess but these two made me change my mind. You need the tiniest amount to have a wash of colour and the dimension in these shadows really compliment the eyes. Samples are available for purchase in our blog sale.

M.A.C 'Naked', 'Golden Olive' and 'Tan' Pigment swatches - www.modenmakeup.com
(L-R) 'Naked', 'Golden Olive' and 'Tan'

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Summer Standouts

It feels strange to talk about beauty products with all that's going on in the Caribbean. Our neighbours are going through some seriously trying times and I implore you to give whatever you can. 🙏

I didn't even realise that this was a running theme. Last year's was especially good since it featured some of my favourite combinations. Like last year, makeup seems to have taken a backseat this Summer.


There's only one item here that surprised me...but let me not get ahead of myself.
Y'all know exfoliators are a must in my skin and body care routine so the Bath & Body Works 'Lavender & Sandalwood' Clay Body Scrub and Coco Shea 'Coconut' Richly Nourishing Body Buff (thanks to the Mistress!) should come as no real shocker. Both smell amazing; again no shocker since regular readers know I'm a firm aromatherapy believer. Visit Inyouvations in Sheraton for all your Bath & Body Works products. Continuing on the Bath & Body Works train, the…