Skip to main content

Top Ten 'Meh' Products for 2013

*cue music* And now, the end is near, and so I face, the final curtain...

I really appreciate the response to this 'Top Ten' series; and I trust that means it was helpful. God willing it will be an annual occurrence. In the last post, I alluded to this segment coming to a close. After my round up of naileye and lip standouts as well as my favourite brushes and blushes you may wonder what's next...wait, the title gave it away.

I've let you know of products that straight up don't work for me in the Letting Go series. Here are the things I ain't quite sure how I really feel about/ain't win me over like I thought they would. Sidebar: I rarely 'drink the koolaid' but YouTube has a way of hyping up products and things can get a lil crazy.

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder: Dim Light

Easily the product I researched the most on before purchasing, I even asked a vlogger who works for Hourglass what shade he recommends for my skin tone, and I still feel I bought the wrong one. These powders kicked off the "light reflecting" beauty powder craze and they can be used for highlighting, blurring imperfections or as an all over finishing powder. I was hoping Dim Light would have done the latter for me. No Cigar. I currently use it to set my under eye concealer but it is entirely too expensive to use for just that.

Dior Addict Ultra-Gloss: 686 Flash

Gorgeous in the packaging. Gorgeous initially on the lips. When the gloss wears away however, I can't handle the glitter remnants. I passed this on to my lip junkie whore Mistress and she loves it though so that goes to show that all these opinions are subjective.

posted on our Facebook page April 10, 2013"REVIEW: Dior Addict Ultra-Gloss 686 Flash.
When I first opened this I was shocked that the applicator brush was splayed out (*gasp* a high end lipgloss O_o).
On the lips I noticed no notable scent, and the glitter was slightly detectable. The texture isn't overly tacky but it's not watery either. All this and I hadn't looked into a mirror yet.
Second time I actually did and O. M.Geeeeeeeee! The sparkle effect in this thing is amazing. Minimal colour deposited, especially if you have pigmented lips. Wears the normal 3-4 hours, less if eating/drinking. OK colour range (We're not talking NYX MegaShine options here)
Cons: not easily accessible.
Would I repurchase? No, but that's only because lip products aren't my vice.
Purchased from the departure lounge at GAIA, $54 for .21 fl. oz. (How much is a MAC dazzleglass -which has in way less product- again?)"

L.A. Girl PRO.conceal 

A cult favourite; and rightly so. Before these I don't think there was a concealer with this colour range that was this accessible and at such a sweet price. Feel free to correct me in the comments. I started out with three and now I have five, that's no surprise because concealer is my beauty drug of choice. Apart from not fancying the distribution method, i.e. squeeze tube + brush tip, these don't really fit into my just-concealer-plus-powder lifestyle. The product doesn't claim to be super long lasting but that is what I discovered I need from a concealer. What these are excellent for, applicator and all, is framing the eyebrows.

As seen in Beauty Mart, Holetown

"Really loving the coverage and colour range of these concealers. I don't think the squeeze tube and brush combination is the best for packaging though. (Product purchased from First Choice Beauty Supply, $6.99)"

O.P.I Nail Polishes

As someone who started out with Ruby Kisses then graduated to Revlon (thanks to my Cave Shepherd Card), I really really thought O.P.I was the "we reach" of nail polish. Kindda like how some of y'all feel about makeup and M.A.C. The more I try them, the more I discover this not to be the case. This is not to say that they don't have some excellent colours but in general they just don't do it for me.

speaking of M.A.C...

M.A.C Ruby Woo Lipstick

Should I go into hiding now? 

An iconic shade. Beautifully blue based in all its teeth whitening glory but hands down the driest lipstick ever. EVER. This is torture on yuh mout. And yes, I know about the prep that should be done to help with this but who says I got time for all that every time I wanna get my Marilyn on? 
Shout out to Ashley Morgan who absolutely loooooooooooooves that lipstick. More power to yuh girl!

Sigma Dry N' Shape

Fans of our Facebook page know how I raved about this tool and honestly I still like it. Thing is that as time has passed the brush game has changed. Brushes such as the Real Techniques face line have wider bases so they can stand up and these handles don't fit into the "handle holders" of the Dry N' Shape. This isn't a big deal if you lay the mechanism down flat; but if you prop it at an angel to let gravity assist in the drying process, it would be best if the entire brush was secured. In addition, and I only realised this with continued use, the Dry N' Shape has very few small "loops" for eye brushes.

thereasonableblonde.blogspot.com image

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencils

These can not be faulted for their pigmentation. The colour range is also nice. At the price however, they ain't worth it. Especially when you consider that Milani make some shadow sticks that are the exact same thing. These also require a bit of a learning curve because they set very quickly which can make blending a pain.

hauled on August 28, 2012

Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector B.B Cream: Deep (Combination to Oily Skin)

Sigh. I don't know what "deep" they're talking about. There's no "all-day shine control" either. This is best used over Milk of Magnesia as a primer and as I said here if you're a M.A.C NC50 you really have to make sure this is properly blended in. Not recommended for any shade darker than that.

middle item

It's A 10 Miracle Leave In Product

This does nothing for my hair (the one coming outta my scalp nor the type I purchase). I am literally still looking for the miracle and I bought it for damn near $50!!!

Birchbox image

e.l.f Makeup Mist and Set

I ain't really sure who e.l.f trynna trick here. Certainly no misting action coming outta that nozzle and very much like M.A.C Fix+, this is not a setting spray. It does take away that overly powdery look though.

"In De Middle Of De Road i.e. not quite a "See Dis And Leff It”: Elf's Makeup Mist & Set.
This does NOT mist and I do not fancy the smell. The size is travel friendly, it does contain skin friendly ingredients and the price is right. I use this only to dampen brushes and sponges".

Special mention?

Evolution Of Smooth Smooth Sphere Lip Balm

It may be a little too early to say this but after all the rave reviews I saw on YouTube I swear these wouldda blow my mind. Thankfully Contour Beauty is selling them for just $15. I'm currently using 'Honeysuckle Honeydew' and I also have 'Strawberry Sorbet'. Can't beat them on the packaging though. Yuh know how we women love cute packaging.

As seen in Wigs Plus

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Summer Standouts

It feels strange to talk about beauty products with all that's going on in the Caribbean. Our neighbours are going through some seriously trying times and I implore you to give whatever you can. 🙏

I didn't even realise that this was a running theme. Last year's was especially good since it featured some of my favourite combinations. Like last year, makeup seems to have taken a backseat this Summer.


There's only one item here that surprised me...but let me not get ahead of myself.
Y'all know exfoliators are a must in my skin and body care routine so the Bath & Body Works 'Lavender & Sandalwood' Clay Body Scrub and Coco Shea 'Coconut' Richly Nourishing Body Buff (thanks to the Mistress!) should come as no real shocker. Both smell amazing; again no shocker since regular readers know I'm a firm aromatherapy believer. Visit Inyouvations in Sheraton for all your Bath & Body Works products. Continuing on the Bath & Body Works train, the…