Skip to main content

Beauty at Girlfriends Expo 2014

This past weekend was Girlfriends Expo which is a trade show much like BMEX except it caters to females. Thus cosmetics, skin care and beauty products in general are ever present. I wasn't planning to go but I figured our peeps would appreciate a post much like the BMEX one. #TeamModen strives to keep you in the know and as consumers ourselves, we understand the need to have the most information possible to increase our purchasing power.

I went pretty early on Sunday afternoon, so the foot traffic was light and a few of the booths weren't fully set up. My first stop was Bio Beauty. While I constantly feel that some of their products are over priced they do make a conscious effort to bring the newest releases in hair and skin care as well as certain nail polish collections, namely: O.P.I and Essie. It is the only place in Barbados I've ever seen: Sally Girl and Zoya polishes, the Clarisonic line and loads of other brands I've come across on YouTube. True to form, Bio Beauty now has the Wet Brush line available. I wouldn't have know what that was if I had not seen this review from the hilarious Rachel Whitehurst. She's amazing, truly.
I didn't intend to purchase anything butttttttt then I saw the soap from that Bath and Body Works line I'm in love with, for $30. And I wouldn't be Lucinda if I didn't get a nail polish, Essie 'Belugaria' $20 . Heaven help me.







Moseying on along I came across Makeup Doll Cosmetics. They are known for their lip glosses and pigments which were on display for patrons to swatch and purchase. This line is available at Bio Beauty.




Great to see you Alfie!

Kim's Makeup Services and Barbados Beauty (250-8853) were side by side. Ahlena from Barbados Beauty brought something different to the Expo by allowing patrons to participate in a lucky dip or enter a raffle. She had a plethora of skin care, cosmestic and fragrance samples from Clinique, Dior, Clarins, Marc Jacobs, Estee Lauder, Chanel, Mont Blanc...too many to mention. There were also cosmetic and tote bags to be won. I want that sample hook up girl!




Ahlena was providing make overs on site.



No makeup party is complete without Jolie Beauty and Cosmetics who just re-branded their company and launched new brow products, face powders and loose pigments.






It was great to meet Leah in person who was assisting Shaniqua's team. 

Mekkin me look like a dwarf :)

SBI Distribution Inc was in the place via numerous booths. I snapped a few pictures of their brands which were on sale at a special wholesale price. I was informed that those cute Simple sets will be available in Super Center locations.





Naturally Radiant You (243-8521) was the next stop. This was the first time I was hearing about this company and was pleased to know that they have a website plus a YouTube channel. If you have natural hair you must check out their hair products.






Finally I had to shout my girls at Colour Coded. That's where I got my bdellium tools brushes, Model In A Bottle setting spray and Graftobian foundation palette. Danielle was on site fixing up brows with the Anatasia Beverly Hills products. I can't wait to try the Brow Whiz.





A special non-beauty shout out to Baked by KandK (231-5846). Heidi was working with them before she beat faces for the run way show later that night.


Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…