Skip to main content

The Road to Clear Skin...the Saga Continues.

I logged first my experience with chemical peels on my buddy Corey's site Get Narked. Sadly, there weren't many photos added and that was what people wanted to see most; visual evidence that the process works.

So here we go. Bookmark this post as the 'before' pictures. Don't be looking up my nostrils

It's like a constellation in this mofo :(




For those of you who thought I had "good skin" there yuh have it. Granted it isn't the worst case but it's bad enough to me; and since I can't help put to pop those white heads it could get worse.

Jenai Sealey (the aesthetician) and I spoke extensively about micro dermabrasion verses chemical peels. She believes that chemical peels are the creme de la creme since you can also use them while you have an active acne breakout. This is not the case with micro dermabrasion which she mainly recommends for removing blackheads and obviously removing that top layer of the skin. Chemical peels do the latter as well; just via a chemical (duh) process rather than physical exfoliation. A consultation would determine which procedure is best for you.

As I have been through this treatment before I can tell you that it works. There are a few things to note though: do NOT go picking at your face before you get a chemical peel. I did that this toss and was fanning frantically in 30 seconds. Do wear sunscreen every time you step out of your house. Every time. I talked about my current favourite here. Makeup wearers, remove your makeup thoroughly. Every time. No point undoing all the good work the peels are doing by clogging up your pores.

The term "peel" has a scary connotation. Let me assure you that the strength of the product used is done based solely on your skin's sensitivity. Also, you determine how long you have it on for. Jenai asks regularly, "how is it feeling on a scale from one to ten. Ten being burning". This is not one of those getting yuh hair straightened cases when you feel you have to wait it out to be effective. My glycolic acid peel was on for about a minute and for the first time ever I saw my skin peeling the next day. That was some strong stuff Jenai! As you would have seen from my first go round, your skin not peeling doesn't mean it isn't working.

Wendy Dawn says: "Glycolic acid is one of a group of acids known as alpha hydroxyl acids (AHA). It is found naturally in sugar cane and grapes and is commonly used in skin care treatments including acne treatment, exfoliation, and chemical peels...freshly exfoliated skin tends to have a healthy glow. Skin looks softer and smoother. Long term use of glycolic acid skin care products has been shown to help diminish fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots. It also helps smooth out uneven facial tone and can even reduce the appearance of surgical scars, acne scars, and other blemishes. Used on a regular basis, glycolic acid has also proven helpful in the treatment of acne. Individuals who use glycolic acid appreciate the benefits of a professional chemical peel by adding glycolic acid treatment to their skin care routine. Generally, a complete line of skin care treatment is sold with glycolic acid cleansers, including neutralizers and skin moisturizers".

As with anything skin care related, research it first to see if you think I can work for you.

Jenai's treatments are always followed by a mask of some sort.

Mumm-Ra much?

This time it was an exfoliating one. I always admire the skill with which Jenai cleanses my face after these things. I know that's weird but hey. If you have any pimples lurking she'll also extract them for you. In the good way with the right tools so they don't leave any marks. I always tease her that that's her favourite part of the procedure. *cackle*

My skin recovered from the peeling in about three days. I took care not to use overly harsh cleansers during this time. This is a perfect opportunity to bring out the REN skincare. On the after care form, it recommends that you not use makeup for a few days. I usually abide by this but I had a dinner to go that night. Happily, I had no issues with my makeup application. I think that's partially due to the primer I'm currently testing but I'll let you know for sure after I try it a couple more times. I smell a product rave coming though.

So I'll see you (well, you know what I mean) in a month with an update. I'm not sure how many sessions I will go through this toss because you can see results in as little as four. I go every two weeks at $90 a pop. For more information please call Jenai Sealey at 259-4575. Please note that every single person I has referred to her have seen positive results.

Shout out to Stacey who first schooled me on chemical peels. Happy birthday AGAIN!


Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Mask Monday | Garnier SkinActive Moisture Bomb Sheet Mask

Back at it 😊

I gotta be honest wid y'all, so far I like I ain't too fussy wid sheet masks yuh.

Anyho, details from the website:

"THE SUPER HYDRATING SHEET MASK - GLOW-BOOSTING

Product Information

Deeply hydrates, illuminates and enhances skin's radiance

This water-based hydrating sheet mask with Hyaluronic Acid, an ingredient naturally found in skin, floods skin with intense weightless hydration. Free of mineral oil and parabens, this non-greasy, intense glow-boosting formula, with Sakura extract, hydrates, illuminates and enhances skin's radiance.

Half a bottle of hydrating serum in 1 Garnier sheet mask

Delivers 24 hour long-lasting hydration

Helps prevent moisture loss throughout the day

Gives skin a luminous complexion and healthy looking radiance
Results: After 1 use -- skin is smoother and more luminous, complexion appears even and fresh
How To Use
1. Start with clean skin. Gently press the sheet mask on to the face with the blue side on top.

2. Peel off the blue film. …