Skip to main content

Product Rave: Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer

You should all know by now that #TeamModen is a huge fan of Phillips Milk of Magnesia as an oil controlling primer. Now let me introduce you to another product that has just made my primer Hall of Fame.

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - www.modenmakeup.com
Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - www.modenmakeup.com
Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - www.modenmakeup.com

From my experience with the NYX Shine Killer and the Smashbox Photo Ready (oil free) I've come to realise that I don't like heavy silicone primers. This primer does contain a form of silicone but the texture in comparison is thinner and thus absorbs easily into the skin. 

From the Hourglass site: "Flawless skin starts here. This luxuriously silky primer will conceal redness, minimize the appearance of pores, help soften the look of fine lines and wrinkles and repel water to ensure makeup appears fresh all day long. Broad spectrum SPF 15 helps shield skin from the sun.

DESCRIPTION
• Designed for all skin types
• Conceals redness (even rosacea) to create an even skin tone
• Helps soften the appearance of visible pores, fine lines and imperfections

• Extends the durability of makeup applied on top of Veil Mineral Primer 
• Satin-finish formula absorbs excess oils
• Formula repels water
• Naturally derived titanium dioxide and zinc oxide protect skin from UVA/UVB rays • Free of oil, parabens, phthalates, gluten, sulfates, fragrance and vegan-friendly"
.

This product comes in three sizes: 10 ml/0.33 fluid ounces for $18USD, 30 ml/1 fluid ounce for $52USD and 60 ml/2 fluid ounces for $72USD. I paid $64CAD (Thanks Jaclyn!) for mine. It is an expensive product which then begs the question, is it worth it?

Wayne Goss reviewed it and while he agrees that it does work, he doesn't think the price correlates.


I think it is. If you have dry skin and are looking to prolong the wear of your foundation you must hate the tight way your skin feels after you've applied Milk of Magnesia. The Veil Primer leaves my skin feeling soft and silky (as all silicone products do). Unlike the other primers mentioned before though, I don't feel like there's a layer sitting on my skin. That thick consistency is what usually causes the clogged pores and resulting white heads. For oily skinned people like myself, you'll notice the instant mattification this product provides. Instant. The smooth texture it creates makes anything going over it apply like a stroll along Hastings boardwalk on a Sunday evening.

The Veil Primer comes with a pump. This makes it much easier to apply than the Milk of Magnesia. I dunno bout you, but every time I use the Phillips I get it all over the place; funny enough, especially on my mirror.

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - www.modenmakeup.com
Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - www.modenmakeup.com

The primer is an opaque white cream with a kindda bluish undertone but it doesn't leave any weird cast on my skin after I've blended it out.

With flash

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer swatch - www.modenmakeup.com
Without flash

I've used this on its own and under several types of foundations and BB creams. After seven hours of wear, I noticed shine in between my eyebrows and the area just about that. Nothing that couldn't easily be fixed with blotting paper and powder. I apply it with my figures, but you can use a synthetic brush if you have a high sensitivity to silicone products as Josh Collier suggests below:



If you can get your hands on that travel size I'd say this is a definite must try.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…