Skip to main content

M.A.C Technique: 'Femme To Feline'

On February 22nd, M.A.C Barbados held its Spring workshops themed 'Femme to Feline'. I'm no stranger to these workshops but I attend any time I can because I see it as value for money. You get information about the current runway trends in nice setting (refreshments are available) plus at the end you get the ticket cost back in product. Thus far all M.A.C Techniques I have attended have been $200BDS. I attended the morning session while the Limegrove customers attended the evening one.


This toss Regional Trainer Sabrina was joined by Terrica and they took us step by step through dramatic and subtle looks for Spring 2014. This was an advanced class but as Vanada pointed out to me, the M.A.C artists are there to provide hands on assistance and recommend products specific to the consumers needs. I found this latter part quite helpful since a running complaint of mine regarding these workshops is that the models chosen don't reflect the average woman's concerns; i.e severe acne, post acne hyper pigmentation, no eyebrows to speak of etc.

A section of the attendees

Tools allocated to each patron

The morning session was well attended. The usual standards applied: tools were provided for use, a notebook and pencil was given to each participant but for the first time (to my knowledge) each person was also give a sample of a skin care item or mascara. I'm pretty accustomed to Sabrina's teaching style. She's interactive and precise. It was my first time seeing Terrica in this capacity and she did a great job. I especially appreciated that she took the time to give amended tips on how she achieves certain procedures on herself. I mean, it's one thing to apply lashes on someone but a whole nudda ball game doing it on yuhself. Same thing applies for winged eye liner. One thing they always preach is practice makes perfect. We see these M.A.C artists looking fierce and flawless and that can be inspiring and intimidating all at once. It was good to be reminded that: 1) they had to work at their craft to get to that level and 2) they sometimes still make mistakes so Q-tips and Mineralize Charged Water Cleanser come in handy.

Lippie heaven

Sabrina and Terrica's work station 

"Back stage" (of sorts)

Sabrina took us through the paces of creating a smokey cat eye while Terrica created a more classic nude look. Both looks focused on flawless luminous skin. So you know I was like, #hereforit. I always admire the emphasis M.A.C artists place on educating their customers on hydrating and moisturizing the skin. In this climate we tend to shy away from such things thinking they'll make us "greasy" looking. Sabrina always stresses the need to moisturize the skin even if your desired end result is a matte face. The products highlighted in this workshop were: Face and Body foundation, Pro Longwear concealer, Studio Fix power (to contour), Mineralized Skinfinish Natural (to set the foundation), Fix +, Cleanse Off Oil, Pro Longwear Paint Pots and lashes.

Sabrina and her model

Terrica and her model

Another of my concerns regarding this style of workshop was hands on instruction. I never actually apply any makeup in these classes but I always wonder if the patrons get enough personal attention. Moreso, I wonder if a complete novice can walk away feeling like they can recreate what they were just shown if they had the products. From what I witnessed, the M.A.C staff present dealt with their respective sections adequately. I saw many of the artist actually demonstrating proper application techniques on the customers.

Tennille was in charge of my section. She's just amazing.

Over The Top MUA (Karolynn) showing proper crease shadow placement

Sabrina educating on where to hold a brush for maximum effect

Apart from being great value for money (although I wish you could get the products at the duty free price), these workshops are fantastic for girl time. I had the pleasure of meeting Ebony, Co-Founder of Make-Up Doll Cosmetics. She, her friend and I had a good time especially answering the give away questions. Apparently I'm banned from answering cause I know too much O_O.

Great to meet you Ebony!

Since I attended the morning session, I had time to redeem my gift card when the workshop was over. Here's what I picked up:

Mini Cleanse Off Oil, Brush Cleaner, Sharpener, Pro Longwear Eye Liner 'Powerline' and Select Moisturecover concealer 'NC50'


I was only $39 over my gift card value. That deserves a round of applause! The second photo shows what actually belongs to me, so you know what that means *wink*

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Mask Monday | Garnier SkinActive Moisture Bomb Sheet Mask

Back at it 😊

I gotta be honest wid y'all, so far I like I ain't too fussy wid sheet masks yuh.

Anyho, details from the website:

"THE SUPER HYDRATING SHEET MASK - GLOW-BOOSTING

Product Information

Deeply hydrates, illuminates and enhances skin's radiance

This water-based hydrating sheet mask with Hyaluronic Acid, an ingredient naturally found in skin, floods skin with intense weightless hydration. Free of mineral oil and parabens, this non-greasy, intense glow-boosting formula, with Sakura extract, hydrates, illuminates and enhances skin's radiance.

Half a bottle of hydrating serum in 1 Garnier sheet mask

Delivers 24 hour long-lasting hydration

Helps prevent moisture loss throughout the day

Gives skin a luminous complexion and healthy looking radiance
Results: After 1 use -- skin is smoother and more luminous, complexion appears even and fresh
How To Use
1. Start with clean skin. Gently press the sheet mask on to the face with the blue side on top.

2. Peel off the blue film. …