Skip to main content

Make Out 2014 - February Update

Victoria doesn't believe that I've been good, but in fact I have! Very much so.

If you saw January's update you'd remember I'm still technically 0/14 cause I picked up the wrong mascara. I made up for it last month though and in all fairness, I kindda had to. In my recent M.A.C Technique post, I mentioned the items I hauled at the end of the workshop. The few items I copped for myself where my only makeup purchases I made in February.

Pro Longwear eye liner 'Powerline', mini Cleanse Off Oil and Select Moisturecover 'NC50'

During the workshop I asked for an eye liner formula that does not transfer onto contact lenses. I can not tell you how many times I have lined my waterline and gone out feeling myself only to have my contacts be a cloudy hot mess a few hours later. Everything literally looks like you're underwater without goggles. Not fun. Vandana assured me that this Pro Longwear line doesn't do that. She wears contacts daily so she should know. I picked 'Powerline' especially because black eye liners close up my already ridiculously small eyes and nude/neutrals give the opposite effect. This goldish colour also looks like it would accentuate my brown eyes.


'Powerline' shot in natural lighting

Just to wash off that swatch took a bit of elbow (thumb really) grease so it seems promising. I just checked my bill for the price and $66 BDS DP is ridiculous if you're going to go through one of these regularly. Eye liners generally last me a long time once the pencil doesn't try out before I get to use it all.

Give me a minute to rant...

A very fundamental component of loving a complexion product is getting the shade that matches you. I think we darker skinned women have the hardest of luck with this since we have various undertones and skin concerns to address. Many cosmetic brands do not cater to us. Straight up, even my beloved Laura Mercier. So that's where companies like Iman, black|Up, Fashion Fair and M.A.C have stood out. M.A.C in particular because they have such an extensive shade range. Their categorization system is so well known that women use their foundation shade from M.A.C as a point of reference. If you watch a lot of YouTube videos you often hear women say. "I'm N/C.." because they know saying their shade gives viewers a better understanding of how products look on them. Now, product line to product line M.A.C is usually consistent; and before I get to the point let me clarify that not only M.A.C is guilty of this. In fact, this may very well be a problem across the entire Estee Lauder group. One would think that if you are an NC50 in the Studio Fix powder foundation, Pro Longwear foundation and Mineralized concealer that you'd be able to use the Pro Longwear concealer in the same shade? No Sireee. The Pro Longwear concealer in that shade is red AF. Yup, I said it. For a person that likes to spot conceal blemishes and set all over my face with a powder (sticking with M.A.C: the Mineralized Skinfinish Natural 'Dark' is a good example), this is a huge problem. Colossal, because the Pro Longwear concealer has to be one of the most raved about products on YouTube. Women with oily/combination and dry skin love it. It's featured in "Holy Grail" product videos. Am I wrong for wanting one that suits me? Stupse.
Anyhow, my concealer quest continues.



 L - R: Pro Longwear, Select Moisturecover and Mineralize concealers all in 'NC50' 

Celina says the Select Moisturecover is her favourite concealer. She has dry skin though so I hope it still works as well for me. $57 BDS DP is not a bad price to me for a concealer but then again I've bought way more expensive ones from Lancome, Make Up For Ever and Nars. It comes down to how you use it - under eye or for blemish concealing- and obviously, how often. Personally, I'm on the hunt for the "it all be all" concealer to cover post acne hyperpigmentation; so I'm willing to try a few till I find it.

So that's it, just two products. Well, makeup wise. Nail polish in February was a next nudda story. Details coming up in the next episode of the Let's Talk Polish series.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Top Ten Sephora VIB Sale Recommendations

It's that time again. I'm not sure of the dates as yet but one major thing has changed: Sephora no longer ships to commercial addresses 😡I discovered this recently after two of my orders were cancelled. Their customer service said it is something they were cracking down on since late July. Stupse. Sephora clearly ain't care about those of us who have to use mail forwarders. Soooooo yeah...less hauls for me in the future which I am annoyed about. More money for Beautylish den *insert Kanye shrug*

Regular readers have seen my wish list posts every time the sale is approaching. I love watching these types of videos on YouTube so I always want to throw my hat in the ring. There are a couple recommendation posts on this blog as well but this year I wanted to narrow it down to my top ten. Now, of course they're plenty favourites I'd like to mention but in efforts to make this concise...

please click all links provided for more information

Sunday Riley Good Genes


After con…