Skip to main content

Rant | Finding Foundation For You

Goooood Morning!!

I am eager to write this post.

FORMULA:
After trying a LOT of foundations. I can tell you, liquid/cream are the best formulas for my skin. I have a few loves.

Make Up For Ever HD - gives me just enough dew, with medium to full coverage.
M.A.C Matchmaster - similarly dewy, full coverage, lasts 8-10 hours with one touch up.
Black Opal Cream To Powder - makes me look like I've been toilin all the livelong day, but offers full coverage and with the Invisible Oil Blocking Powder, works for me. Lasts about 4/5 hours with a touch up.
Revlon Colorstay - has become a fave. Medium to full coverage, dewy finish, sets beautifully with my Graftobian Coconut Cream Pie, lasts roughly 5/6 hours without touch up.
Maybelline Fit Me - extreme dew, decent coverage. Not past medium for my skin though. About 3/4 hours with a touch up.
L.A. Girl Pro Conceal - not a foundation, but thick and creamy enough to offer full coverage, and lasts a good 6-8 hours without touchups.
M.A.C Studio Fix Fluid - full coverage, minimal dew, flawless finish though. True story. Offers about 6/8 hours with one touchup.

Mahogany- one of my staples
Please note, I do not think that my research foundation wise is enough. I'm an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' type of person. I cannot tell you how many frogs I had to test before I landed my princes. And yes, I love all of the above for various reasons. But I can amend this in 6 months or so when I've tried some of my most wanted items.

Two important factors:

SKINCARE:

If your skin is in a state of depression. Pimples, blemishes, hyperpigmentation, then Sis/ Bro honey child you NEEDS you a HIGH DEF FULL COVERAGE joint. DO NOT come to me, and ask me for something light. This isn't a diet for the face, the more calories you take in the bigger you'll get. Nawwww

Leaves me a bit oily, but coverage is decent.

Do not expect miracles, makeup is not the CURE-ALL.

Do NOT ask me to just try it on your hand. Who wears foundation on their hands anyway??

Do NOT tell me you want to look clearer or brighter, there are highlighters for that. Or of course the dastardly haloderm (we do NOT endorse abuse of skin lightening agents).

DIET:
What you consume, determines what your skin will produce. I firmly believe this. Water is your friend. Fruit and vegetables your second mates.

In my humble opinion, if you're going to test a foundation for purchase, see it as an investment and do the following:
  • Go with a clean, moisturized face and neck. That's right, NO MAKEUP PLEASE.
  • If you are ONLY interested in purchasing a foundation, take the setting powder/pressed powder/ setting spray or all of the above with you. 
  • Be willing to listen to your MUA/ sales assistant. We see lots of faces daily, and while you know your skin to a T, we know (or should) know our products. 
  • By the same token, if the sales person is pushy or seems impatient or unwilling to listen to your views/ preferences, ask for someone else to assist. Sometimes, personalities clash and the worst thing in the world is to purchase an item under duress or out of frustration.
  • Test during daytime. GO OUTSIDE, incandescent or fluorescent lights can give a strange glow/cast. And even in the best light sometimes foundations look off in direct sunlight. 
  • Take a trusted friend who likes/ knows about makeup. Or likes/knows you. Do NOT take a person who hardly knows you with you when purchasing makeup. They will ruin the entire experience for you ESPECIALLY if they do not like makeup at all. 
  • Give yourself time to try, do not rush to purchase a foundation. How your skin looks is critical to your overall makeup look.
  • If you are unsure DO NOT BUY IT. Test it. Tell the salesperson, thank you for their time, you would feel more comfortable trying it out for the rest of the day, you will return if it still looks alright after a few hours of wear.
  • Foundations can oxidize. 
  • Your neck, chest and body may be different shades. Allow for that, REMEMBER it!
xoxo
Heidi.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…