Skip to main content

My Favourite Ridiculously Expensive Products (Current Top Ten)

*cue Andre 3000* Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-yyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Heidi is off painting NYC red so you're stuck with me :p

YouTube vlogger Lisa recently did a video with this title and said she hoped it'd become a tag. I think that's a great idea since we're all interested to know if products with hefty prices are worth it. I've said numerous times that YouTube has the tendency to sucker you into always wanting to purchase the latest thing (wait, it isn't only me right?)...so posts like these can help you cut through the fog.


Another vlogger Emily just did her version of it and that's what inspired me to add in my two cents.


Obviously, ridiculously expensive is a subjective term so things I might find average you may consider hott; and vice versa. These are just my thoughts on what's worth it. I excluded limited edition things but I can do a separate post on that if you like.

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - $52USD


Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]

No surprise here. This proved itself to me all over again yesterday. I was thiiiissssssssss close to purchasing a Rimmel primer and I put it back 'cause I think I've found my favourite one. I'm still going to buy the Becca Matte primer though. You can read love confession here.

Estee Lauder Advance Night Repair Serum


Estee Lauder Advance Night Repair Serum www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]

Available locally from Cave Shepherd and Senses in Limegrove. I bought mine from Senses and if I remember correctly a large size was well over $200BDS. Still, it's worth it as I explained here.

Guerlain  Terracotta Four Seasons Bronzer '08 Ebony' - $76USD


Guerlain  Terracotta Four Seasons Bronzer - '08 Ebony' www.modenmakeup.com

My single most expensive makeup purchase to date. Looking up that price just now even made me wince a little. Lemme be honest, the packaging is what lured in me in; but the product does not disappoint. My sole qualm with this is the heavily perfumed scent. I have the CoverGirl Queen Bronzer in 'Ebony Bronze' and the Sleek Face Contour Kit in 'Dark' and I prefer this. Let me know in the comments if you'd like to see a comparison post of those products.

Louise Young LY06 Super Blusher Brush - $42USD

This started my appreciation for high end brushes. It made my Top Ten list for 2013.


Have you ever tried a products and then thought, "I want them all!" Yeah, this is it. As soon as I get my hands on a few more I'll do an overview. p.s. 'Naked Dolly' is available in our blog sale. ***update*** Product Rave can be viewed here.

Tom Ford Lipsticks - $49USD

*I don't pop mollies...*

Tom Ford Lipsticks 'Paradiso' and 'Rouge Fatale' swatches www.modenmakeup.com

I wasn't a fan of coral lipsticks until I tried 'Paradiso'. This Lip Color Sheer line is just my speed: buildable, moisturising AND still long wearing. Again, the packaging just screams luxe.

 YSL Rouge Volupe Shine No.19 - $35USD


 YSL Rouge Volupe Shine - No.19 www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]

Eeeerrrrrrrrmahgad Just gorgeous! This particular colour is a dupe for M.A.C 'Heroine'. When I paired it with the 'Heroine' lip liner I just about fainted. Check out how it looked here.

M.A.C Pigments - $21USD


M.A.C 'Tan', 'Golden Olive' and 'Naked' Pigments www.modenmakeup.com
(l-r): 'Tan', 'Golden Olive' and 'Naked' 

Specifically, 'Naked' because I thought it would have been just 'ok' but it is really stunning. I too was in the "pigments are too messy" camp but the product in the cap alone is enough to do quite a few looks. Applied over a cream/slightly tacky base you minimize the fallout and of course you should apply your eye makeup before foundation in these instances. You need so little of these products to complete a look that you will literally have them for a lifetime. If you don't want to commit to a full size we have have samples on sale.

Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour - $26USD



You just heeard Emily rave about 'Amethyst', which I am yet to have. My most used one is 'Plum' (first swatch).Yes, cream shadow sticks aboundeth but I still prefer these. This is another product that I feel I need every single one in production. Another Top Ten for 2013 mention. I raved about them again here. Excellent for travel because you can use it alone and look like you did a whole lot more. 

This list would not be complete without a blush right?

Nars Blush 'Dolce Vita' - $30USD


Nars Voulez Vous Cheek & Eye Palette www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]

Whenever Nars has a palette like this available, get it. This is perfect for travel. 'Dolce Vita' is the darker of the two blushes pictured and is perfect for the back of the cheeks; sortta like a blush contour. *swoon*

Share your favourite expensive products in the comments...but don't be too persuasive lest I crumble :'D

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Summer Standouts

It feels strange to talk about beauty products with all that's going on in the Caribbean. Our neighbours are going through some seriously trying times and I implore you to give whatever you can. 🙏

I didn't even realise that this was a running theme. Last year's was especially good since it featured some of my favourite combinations. Like last year, makeup seems to have taken a backseat this Summer.


There's only one item here that surprised me...but let me not get ahead of myself.
Y'all know exfoliators are a must in my skin and body care routine so the Bath & Body Works 'Lavender & Sandalwood' Clay Body Scrub and Coco Shea 'Coconut' Richly Nourishing Body Buff (thanks to the Mistress!) should come as no real shocker. Both smell amazing; again no shocker since regular readers know I'm a firm aromatherapy believer. Visit Inyouvations in Sheraton for all your Bath & Body Works products. Continuing on the Bath & Body Works train, the…