Skip to main content

Third Quarter Favourites (Combos)

Word to mother, I dunno what happened to the Second Quarter favourites so let this stand in its stead ok? Ok. So as to not make this a lengthy post like the first one I've narrowed it down to combinations I've used numerous times and have come to appreciate for their efficiency, longevity and/or colour pay off.

Lewwe go...

M.A.C Mineralized Skinfinish Natural and the Tarte Airbuki Bamboo Powder Foundation Brush

The Mineralized Skinfinish Natural is a lightweight powder that's great for setting liquid foundations. When combined with densely packaged brush it offers more coverage. I use this duo especially when I've skipped liquid foundation altogether and just opted to spot conceal. The overall finish is more natural because you have the coverage just where you need it. The Mineralized Skinfinish Natural powders are not mattifying products so your skin maintains a healthy sheen.

M.A.C Mineralized Skinfinish Natural in 'Dark' - www.modenmakeup.com
M.A.C Mineralized Skinfinish Natural in 'Dark'

Orly Bonder Rubberized Basecoat and cream polishes

Most cream polish formulas are a bit tricky to get even, especially pastels. I must be that last person to find this out but sticky basecoats like this one from Orly seem to make these troublesome formulas less streaky.

Orly Bonder Rubberized Basecoat - www.modenmakeup.com

e.l.f Mist and Set and your kabuki style Foundation brush

I've been doing this for a while but it really showed its importance to me recently when I was using a liquid to powder foundation that sets really fast. I always mist my foundation brush before use. It's akin to using your beauty sponges damp. I prefer to use this e.l.f product for my brushes only because I don't like how the nozzle dispenses product on my face.

e.l.f Mist and Set - www.modenmakeup.com
Sigma Angled-Top Kabuki F84

Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks and the Sigma Precision Round P82

Everybody knows that eye makeup is the thing I usually skip but this is a tried and true combination that's lazy girl approved. Of course you could use any cream shadow and round tip synthetic brush but these two are the ones I've put to the test. What I especially love about the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks is that when blended up to the crease it gives the illusion of multiple colours on your eye; i.e. you looked like you tried hard when you really didn't.

Sigma Precision Round P82 - www.modenmakeup.com
Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in 'Pink Spark'

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil and the Real Techniques Accent Brush

Again another combo than can be substituted with any pencil eyeliner and small smudger brush in your collection. I like pencil liners for applying colour to a smaller surface area, so just the lash line. The best thing about these cream shadow/brush combos is that they're super travel friendly. I always pack way too much makeup but I end up only using pairings like these because they're a time saver. 

Real Techniques Accent Brush - www.modenmakeup.com
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in 'Junkie'

L'Oreal False Lash Telescopic in 'Magnetic Black' and bareMinerals Flawless Definition mascaras

I love applying mascara and I love all the mascaras that bring the drama. The "precision comb" wand and the pigment of the L'Oreal one gives inky black, long, defined lashes while the bareMinerals one separates any clumping that might occur if you went in H.A.M.

L'Oreal False Lash Telescopic 'Magnetic Black' - www.modenmakeup.com

Make-Up Designory Cheek Color in 'Pumpkin' and the Louise Young LY06 Super Blusher Brush

You already know how I feel about these burnt orange blushes on our skin tones. And this brush, it's my favourite blush brush. I love how it easily deposits colour on the back of the cheeks with its flat paddle side. You can use the curved tip to blend blush forward unto the apples of the cheeks or to apply highlighter. It has the right about of softness, density and it washes up with no hassle. I just love it.

Make-Up Designory Cheek Color 'Pumpkin' - www.modenmakeup.com
Make-Up Designory Cheek Color 'Pumpkin' - www.modenmakeup.com

Estee Lauder Pure Color Creme Lipstick in 'Blushing' and L.A. Colors Lipliner Pencil in 'Sienna'

This is just an ode to pairing any nude-esque lip colour you may not fancy on its own with a brown lip liner.

Estee Lauder Pure Color Creme Lipstick 'Blushing' and L.A.Colors Lipliner 'Sienna' - www.modenmakeup.com
Estee Lauder Pure Color 'Blushing' and L.A.Colors Lipliner 'Sienna' - www.modenmakeup.com

L'Oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter in 'Deep' and Ben Nye Banana Luxury Powder

The Lumi isn't my favourite highlighter pen but Imma use it up. I find a thin layer of the Banana powder sets it well and adds to that "super highlighted under the eyes a la Kim K" look. Samples of the Ben Nye powders are available in The Marketplace.

L'Oreal Magic Lumi Highlighter 'Deep' - www.modenmakeup.com

Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in 'Plum' and the Milani Marbleized Baked Eyeshadow in 'Fusion'

Yeah yeah again with the caviar sticks. What more can I say? Oh, 'Plum' is my most used one; yuh know they say purple really brings out brown eyes.
I got that Milani shadow because I saw somewhere that it is a dupe for a M.A.C shadow. So far, I've never regretted it. Depending on what colour base you combine it with determines how much of the purple, gold or bronze is more apparent. Again, blended into up to the crease will make it look like you tried really hard to be fancy.

Laura Mercier 'Plum' and Milani 'Fusion' - www.modenmakeup.com
L - R: 'Plum' alone, 'Fusion' alone, then blended together

Laura Mercier 'Plum' and Milani 'Fusion' - www.modenmakeup.com

and finally

M.A.C 'Naked' Pigment and 'Layin' Low' Pro Longwear Paint Pot

I was once very afraid of pigments until I came to appreciate their diversity. Of the M.A.C ones I have 'Naked' looks the least impressive in the jar but is very beautiful. You can use it as a highlighter for the face. Or, as the case with this combo, a lovely wash of colour all over the eyelid. This pigment has in what appears to be fine holographic shimmer. Man, I can't even explain it.
The Paint Pots are a sturdy creamy base that dry down matte and lock whatever you put on top of them in place.
Samples of selected M.A.C pigments are available in The Marketplace.

M.A.C 'Naked' Pigment and 'Layin' Low' Pro Longwear Paint Pot - www.modenmakeup.com
L - R: 'Layin' Low' alone, 'Naked' alone (lol) and both products blended together

Any item mentioned above that is not available locally can be ordered via our sister company T.E.A.M Imports. Simply send an email to team_imports@hotmail.com, requesting a quotation, with the link to the item. Please note quotations are inclusive of shipping cost and import duties.

Share what combinations you've been loving recently in the comments :)

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…