Skip to main content

Overview: CND Vinylux Weekly Polish

This one was a long time in coming...

I saw these at Bio Beauty a while ago and was instantly intrigued. Manicures that stay chip free for seven days?! Sign me up!

As seen in Bio Beauty, Coconut Walk, Hastings

The CND site claims that while regular polish last four days their Vinylux system lasts for seven days chip-free. "Change it when you want to, not because you have to". How catchy.

The reason why this post is so tardy is because this product required a bit of a learning curve. Foolishly, I never checked the website until I was compiling this post. So when I first used the product I did so in my usual fashion: base coat, two coats of polish (hopefully) and the suggested top coat. This brings me to problem number one. These polishes are $25BDS each and the suggested Weekly Top Coat is $26. I already know that Bio Beauty is not for the faint of pocket but geeez if you have to buy a system for something to work I feel there should be a lil ease somewhere.

Right, so, first try was a flop. Funny enough I used CND Sticky Base Coat.

'Overtly Onyx'



This was after two days max. Upon my next visit to Bio Beauty, I explained my plight to the receptionist. She informed me that I had to 'wrap' my nails. Theodora explains how here.

Image from http://redhairandblacknailpolish.blogspot.com/ 

The main reason I wanted a manicure that lasts for a while was for when I travel. As soon as one nail chips I want everything off. So that's something I'd prefer not to have happen when I am 'over and away'. I was discussing these Vinylux polishes with the Manager of Sugar Cane Club Spa, Barbara, and she told me to skip base coat altogether. Now that I've checked out the CND website that's exactly what they recommend. "No base, two step system delivers week-long wear. STEP 1 - Apply two thin coats of Vinylux Weekly Polish. STEP 2 - Finish with one coat of Vinylux Weekly Top Coat".

'Married To The Mauve'

I just love those 'dusty mauve' colours.

I can't find the after photo so just trust me. It lasted much longer - approximately six days - without a base coat but I didn't wrap my nails and there was immediate shrinkage. I didn't even know that was the proper term. I remember explaining it to Barbara like, "the polish pulled away from the nail tip". Smh. Novice.

Something else the Bio Beauty staff neglected to tell me was that the colours - there are 76 shades in all - have different finishes ranging from sheer to opaque. I kindda found this out on my own when I tried 'Tinted Love'. The site said this is an opaque formula but unlike the others previously mentioned it takes at least three coats to look like something. I tried it first on my toes but most polishes last forever on yuh toes anyways.




'Tinted Love' after four days


I don't remember how much the mini was for but it came from the Forbidden Collection. Bio Beauty often breaks up mini sets and sells them individually.

The star product in this system is supposedly the Weekly Top Coat. Unlike CND's other popular product, the Shellac polishes, this top coat doesn't require 'curing' under a UV light. The Weekly Top Coat uses "Pro-Light Technology" which creates increased durability and resistance to chips with exposure to natural light. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

L - R: 'Overly Onyx', 'Married To The Mauve', 'Asphalt', Weekly Top Coat and 'Tinted Love'

I tried 'Overly Onyx' again without a base coat and got better results. Still not seven days as promised but it didn't chip as quickly. I'm very nervous about not using a base coat because I always expect the polish to stain my nails. Thankfully, none of these colours did.



'Overtly Onyx' after four days

The disclaimer is that I don't baby my hands. I wash dishes - sometimes wid a lil Clorox -, do usual chores etc. The one thing I did not put these polishes through was hand washing. 


Have you ever tried this Vinylux formula? Should the polishes be so pricey if it's really the top coat that does the work? Share your thoughts in the comments :)

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…