Skip to main content

My Foundations: M.A.C Pro Longwear

Kindda hard to believe that I've done four entries in this series and am only now getting to a M.A.C foundation right? As popular as M.A.C is in Barbados, this is the only liquid foundation I have from the brand. Powders is anudda kettle of fish. As long wearing foundations go, this is my current second favourite. black|Up edges this due to its more natural finish and air pump packaging.

I have the shade NC50 which is a very popular shade it seems. It retails for $111BDS LP DP or $74BDS DF. This foundation comes in a glass bottle and has a pump which has a locking mechanism. That feature is great but the nozzle opening easily get clogged so remember to clean it regularly. If not, one day you'll go to pump some on the back of your hand and the product will shoot out everywhere. Trust me.


One pump

One pump blended out

After the product had set for five minutes
All shots taken in direct sunlight

The number one thing I can tell you about this foundation is that it is pigmented. It can easily get to full coverage especially if you use a kabuki styled brush to apply it. With a damp sponge you get a sheerer coverage; and you use more product so just be mindful of that if you have a lot of hyperpigmentation to cover. This Pro Longwear formula looks better after it has set. I dunno, something about when it mixes with your sebum just makes it look better. If you can get away with not setting this with a powder - at least in the initial hours - give it a try. Check out how it looks after a few hours here

L -R: Real Techniques Buffer Brush and Sigma Sigmax Angled Kabuki F84

I would recommend spot cleaning your foundation brush as soon as humanly possible because - as pictured above - the Pro Longwear stains your brushes. And that picture was after I soaked them in warm water and Dawn for a few minutes and then washed them with the Dr. Bronner's Lavender bar soap.

Both faces done by Heidi #nofilter

Five hours later

From my previous foundation posts you know that a lot of them don't hold up that well after five hours. Here Heidi used the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. I've also tried this foundation with the Phillips Milk of Magnesia (MoM) and the L'Oreal Miracle Blur (oil free). If you have dry skin a silicone based primer may be the best thing to accompany this, or maybe no primer at all. If you're a MoM fan, make sure whatever tool you're using to apply the foundation is moist. I've found that if I didn't do that the MoM can make the Pro Longwear appear very patchy.

I know women whom have gone through multiple bottles of this foundation. My friend Stacey uses this every single work day. She sets it with M.A.C's Mineralized Skinfinish Natural. That's a great combination. That powder adds a natural sheen and very little additional coverage (when used dry); as I said before this foundation needs no help in the pigment department. I don't even need to spot conceal. Even though I have oily skin, in recent times I've only set my T-zone when using this foundation. After applying a powder blush and highlighter I'd finish off everything with a setting spray and call it George.


I'm still on my original bottle and though the pigment is separating (I know I know), I'm still trynna use that bad boy up. It still smells the same so I just give it a good shake - which you should do to all your liquid foundations right before use anyway - and roll. The SPF 10 in this product doesn't cause any ghostly white cast in flash photography so it's perfectly fine to use it at night. Before I had the black|Up mentioned earlier this was my go-to "big event" foundation. 

Swatch comparison of the foundations reviewed thus far

I find it funny that the Lancome and M.A.C look so similar swatched especially when I didn't think the former was a good colour match. Ah well.

Overall I think this is a solid purchase.

What's your favourite M.A.C foundation? Let's us know in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…