Skip to main content

Flashback Friday (August 2012)

***New Series Alert***

#TeamModen does a lot of hauling. You know how it goes; there's always some new release that catches our eye. But more important than just engaging in retail therapy is the ability to test and compare products so we can tell you what's worth it or not. This year in addition to current hauls - come on, quitting is for losers - I also want to look back at previous ones and let you know what I still have and if my thoughts have changed. I'm so happy that Anderson and Heidi agreed to facilitate the Moden Makeup Marketplace with me because it allowed us beauty lovers to sell or swap products we weren't showing enough love to. Of course on the other end, it gives others the chance to try some amazing products at great prices.

If you're new to Moden Makeup you might think we only started hauling in 2013, when this blog was created. No Ma'am, I've got some #throwbacks to 2012 for y'all. Let's start with this:

Sephora haul - www.modenmakeup.com
posted on our Facebook page August 28, 2012

T.E.A.M Imports how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

This haul was particularly special because these were my first Nars and Urban Decay products. Many many a night I was up late drooling over Sephora.com and adding things to my cart. Never actually checking out of course because I didn't have a credit card but that's another story. T.E.A.M Imports facilitates my beauty product lust not only by getting these online purchases for me but also by doing a crazy amount of research so that I get them at the best price.

Both of these items were limited edition. The Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencil Stash came with five mini shadow sticks containing 2.5 grams of product each. You can take a look at Sarah's review here. Checking the Urban Decay and Sephora sites just now I'm not seeing the full size listed so I'm not sure if they've been discontinued :/ In any case, out of the five I have one left - 'Sin'.

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencil 'Sin' swatch - www.modenmakeup.com

It's gorgeous. The others I've either given away or sold. I really need to use this more often. It's a beautiful highlight shade. If you're interested in trying this type of shadow stick give the Milani Shadow Eyes a go. Both formulas are creamy, blend easily but set after a few seconds. And I mean set.

The real star of this haul was the Nars Cheek Palette 'Foreplay'. Though I have debated on whether or not to keep this numerous times during my destashing episodes I still have it. It's my first Nars anything. Colour me sentimental!

Nars Cheek Palette 'Foreplay' - www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]

Nars Cheek Palette 'Foreplay' - www.modenmakeup.com
Nars Cheek Palette 'Foreplay' swatches  - www.modenmakeup.com

If memory serves me correctly, the blushes/highlighter in the three smaller pans were designed to complement the blush in the larger pan; the infamous 'Orgasm'. This palette made me love mixing blushes. I feel swatches of Nars blushes never truly convey how beautiful they look on the skin. They truly blend well on the cheeks. I don't have any fulled sized Nars blushes so I can't comment on if the formula is the same. Again, I need to use this more often but funny enough I usually pack this when I'm travelling.

What can I say, dese limited edition tings does get me man.

Have you tried any of the products mentioned? What items in your collection have you been neglecting? Let us know in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…