Skip to main content

Top Ten Base Products for 2014

Looking over last year's post I realise that I am truly a creature of habit. Not much has changed; so if you don't see a category mentioned just know that I'm still using last year's pick.

SerumPeter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Vitamin C Brightening Serum AND Sleeping Mask 

I still use Advanced Night Repair. I'm almost out of my 1.7 fl. oz. bottle and I'm waiting to get another. Duty free soul cause Cave Shepherd up dem prices! Last year I tried some items from Peter Thomas Roth for the first time. Beauty Blogger/Vlogger Crystalis007 raved about the moisturizer in his Camu Camu line claiming that it was the only thing that lightened her hyperpigmentation. Yuh know that peaked my interest. After doing some research I discovered that the serum in the range has the highest amount of the Camu Camu goodness. These things are expensive so I really want to get the most out of it. Now as the great ladies at Bajan Beauty Blog have said, for you to see real results with skincare you have to be consistent. I honestly haven't used this serum every single night. BUT lemme tell you, when I used the serum and sleeping mask together my skin feels remarkable. I only have a sample of the sleeping mask but after I've bought the full size I will do a separate review.


Moisturizer - REN Clean Skincare

The number one thing I've heard Heidi tell her clients is: "Drink more water and moisturize your skin". I mean over and over. So before she cut my ass I started following suit. I know the plight of oily skin girls is finding a moisturizer that won't have us looking like we bathed in Mello Cream. Well, here yuh go. Please note that I haven't specified a particular one. REN offers a variety of products which cater to different skin types. The formulas of the two that I've tried worked very well for me. I've also bought a couple starter kits for a few guys and they also love the products. REN is available from Pure Source Barbados in Limegrove.



Mask - REN Glycolactic Radiance Renewal Mask

Another thing I love about Pure Source Barbados is that staff give you samples when they're available. Here is one such case where the sample led me to purchase the full size. I've been using this product off and on since January last year. Again, yuh gotta be consistent to see maximum results. I've especially loved to use this in between my chemical peel rounds to boost/prolong those results.


Special mention - Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask

I can't find this in stores anywhere so I just say lemme ease it in here in case you do come across it. As Caroline Hirons says, don't spend a lot on clay masks 'cause clay (kaolin) is a very cheap ingredient. #GlamGlowShade This product gets the job done especially on those godawful active pimples. Josh Collier MUA also recommends that men mix this with their shaving cream to prevent razor bumps. 



You must be tired hearing me rave about that.

Setting Powder (under eye) - Make-up Designory 'Desert'

I raved about it here.

Setting Powder (face) - M.A.C Mineralized Skinfinish Natural 'Dark'

Check out my thoughts about it here.

Concealer (under eye) - It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye 'Rich'

Another Crystalis007 recommendation. It Cosmetics calls this a "Corrector Concentrate Cream" and they ain't joking. I know I only just recently got this but I'm already very impressed.


Concealer (face) - Smashbox High Definition Concealer 'Dark'

I raved about it here.

Liquid Highlighter - M.A.C Prep+Prime Highlighter 'Peach Lustre'

I love this for its colour correcting properties. It's a lighter formula than the It Cosmetics product previously mentioned and it's perfect for our skin tones; especially for correcting those shadows around our mouth.


Misting Spray(?) - e.l.f Mist & Set

I absolutely do not spray this onto my face. As I told you here, I hate the dispenser. What I do love to use this product for: spraying on my foundation brushes before I put them to work. In that regard, it's a much cheaper alternative to M.A.C Fix+. Of the two setting sprays that I mentioned last year, the Kat Von D one has turned out to be my favourite.


For my thoughts on the foundations I've used last year please see the Foundation Series.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…