Skip to main content

Top Ten Brushes (and other tools) for 2014

Hap (hold for five seconds) py New Year!

Looking back at last year's post, I still love a lot of those things. The e.l.f Powder brush fell apart on me a few weeks ago but everything else is still riding. The LY 06 is my favourite blush brush of all time; but I told you that already. Let's see what made the cut this year.

Tarte Airbuki Bamboo Powder Foundation 

The love for this brush is twofold: we all love a good kabuki. This is a dense one that really buffs whatever you're using it with into the skin. Secondly, its size - if you are pretty much blind without your glasses like me, and have to get right up in the mirror to do your makeup you will love all short handle brushes. I hate to hear my brush handles hitting my mirror! This also washes up perfectly whether with bar soap or Dawn :)


Real Techniques Duo Fibre Contour LE

Its flat shape is perfect for applying blush to the back of your cheeks but what I appreciate most about this baby is the tip. Excellent for feathering on highlighter, especially pigmented ones. Those same bristles don't stain despite being white. This brush was the stand out product from that limited edition set.


Sedona Lace 980

I does mek dis brush hear! It's just an excellent brush for setting powder. It has the right density and length of bristles. This is my first Sedona Lace brush and I'm very interested in trying some more.


bdellium tools 957 Precision Kabuki

A timely replacement for the e.l.f brush I mentioned earlier. I like this better than my Sigma Flat Top Kabuki simply because it's way easier to clean.


M.A.C 129SH

This is the brush that made me realise that I love short handle brushes. Its shape also reminds me of my beloved LY 06 and it performs the same tasks. It can also double as a powder brush. My sole issue with this brush is that it sheds; to this day it's still shedding and I had this for about two years. Still, that short handle and its shape is enough for me to keep it around.


M.A.C 217

Last year I also realised that I need more eye shadow blending brushes. I had the 217 for a while and I've fully come to appreciate its versatility. You can apply colour with it as well as blend. This is perfect for those one eyeshadow looks that I'm so fond of. After trying some bdellium tools eye brushes I must also commend the 217 for its softness. You don't feel a single poke or scratch when you use this. This is another brush that washes up well.


Sigma Blending E25

Loving this for pretty much the same reason as the 217. The fact that this was a free sample from Sigma that I got when I purchased their Sigmax set makes it all the sweeter.


ecoTools Stay-There Shadow

Boy o boy, I almost forgot about this beaut! This brush is the bomb for applying pigments. Just amazing. The bristles come to a very fine tapered tip which allows you to place product right to the inner corner of the eye. For people with small eyes that's absolutely golden. This is the second brush that I have fallen in love with from their Day To Night set. I had given a few of those away but I feel I'm going to buy another set. Yes, they're that good. I know what you're thinking; I have a lot of brushes... yup, and I still want more.


On to tools:

The beautyblender Pro

Since my Beauty Sponge comparison post Kimesha from Significant Details sent me the Real Techniques version. Bless you Sweetheart! Sadly I haven't tried it yet. So to date, this is the best beauty sponge that I have tried. I had the original one first and it's still in the packaging. I do not look forward to staining that pink fabric. This black beauty here however is my ride or die trick.


Urban Decay Grindhouse

I told you all about its magnificence here.


Studio Basics Powder Puffs

I have found no better puff for that 'press and roll' action that Wayne Goss recommends when using setting powder. But the real real reason I love this is that you can easily wash them. Trust me, after trying the M.A.C ones you come to appreciate puffs that don't fall apart when they come into contact with water.


Let us know what brushes/tools you've been loving in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Summer Standouts

It feels strange to talk about beauty products with all that's going on in the Caribbean. Our neighbours are going through some seriously trying times and I implore you to give whatever you can. 🙏

I didn't even realise that this was a running theme. Last year's was especially good since it featured some of my favourite combinations. Like last year, makeup seems to have taken a backseat this Summer.


There's only one item here that surprised me...but let me not get ahead of myself.
Y'all know exfoliators are a must in my skin and body care routine so the Bath & Body Works 'Lavender & Sandalwood' Clay Body Scrub and Coco Shea 'Coconut' Richly Nourishing Body Buff (thanks to the Mistress!) should come as no real shocker. Both smell amazing; again no shocker since regular readers know I'm a firm aromatherapy believer. Visit Inyouvations in Sheraton for all your Bath & Body Works products. Continuing on the Bath & Body Works train, the…