Skip to main content

Top Ten Eye Products for 2014

Wow. This one was rough. I couldda said everything from 2013's post but I want to mention different products in this series. 2014 was the year I: a) made a conscious effort to use pigments more - we still have samples for sale - and b) finally admitted that I prefer coloured eyeliners over eyeshadows. That's just my thing.

Anyho, let's get into it.

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils

I got an Ocho Loco set in October 2012 and these are still going strong. I bought a M.A.C limited edition PearlGlide in early 2013 and it's drying up; still useable but you can clearly see the product shrinking away from the pencil exterior. I believe it's the cap. The ones on the Urban Decay pencils taper snuggly onto the pencil tip. Now singly these are expensive as this sortta thing goes - I checked today the price is now $20USD - but if you're gonna spend that money you want to know it will last.

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils - www.modenmakeup.com

Stila 'In The Light' Palette

A great neutral palette. That shade that's shining bright like a diamond? The infamous 'Kitten' which you can also use on your cheekbones.

Stila 'In The Light' Palette - www.modenmakeup.com

NYX High Definition Eye Shadow Base

M.A.C Paint Pots stole the show for bases last year and I really love those because they set matte quickly. For when I need a little something tackier I use this; especially when using pigments. The doe foot applicator allows me to use as little or as much as I want.

NYX High Definition Eye Shadow Base - www.modenmakeup.com

Milani Marbleized Baked Eyeshadow 'Fusion'

I raved about it here.

Milani Marbleized Baked Eyeshadow 'Fusion' - www.modenmakeup.com

NYX Nude Matte Shadow 'Dance The Tides'

Missy Lynn said this was her one of her favourite crease colours so I decided to give it a go. I've rarely touched another one since. You can put 'Quite Natural' all over the eye, blend 'Dance The Tides' into the crease and then put a cream liner like 'Hustle' or 'Rockstar' on the lash line and create a very put together yet everyday "I woke up like this" look.

NYX Nude Matte Shadow 'Dance The Tides' - www.modenmakeup.com

L'Oreal Silkissime Eyeliner 'Highlighter'

Perfect inner corner highlight. Perfect.

L'Oreal Silkissime Eyeliner 'Highlighter' - www.modenmakeup.com

Chanel Waterproof Long Lasting Eyeliner 'Khaki Precieux'

To date this is the only formula that I have put on my waterline that did not transfer onto my contact lenses. I can not tell you how many pairs of lenses I have ruined; how many events I was walking around all cloudy eyed and the resulting headaches. Loooooooooooook! This is life changing. I'm so mad I only bought one shade.

Chanel Waterproof Long Lasting Eyeliner 'Khaki Precieux' - www.modenmakeup.com

M.A.C Fluidline Eye Pencil 'Black Brilliance'

Last year I struggled with liquid liners, felt tip ones frustrated me and I wouldn't dare go near potted gel ones. M.A.C released a retractable pen version of their potted fluidlines in a limited edition collection - go figure - and it literally changed my eyeliner game. I really really hope M.A.C makes these permanent.

M.A.C Fluidline Eye Pencil 'Black Brilliance' - www.modenmakeup.com

Sugarpill Pigment 'Lumi'

This pigment automatically takes any cream base from zero to hero; especially green ones.


Sugarpill Pigment 'Lumi' - www.modenmakeup.com
Sugarpill Pigment 'Lumi' - www.modenmakeup.com
Second swatch is over the aforementioned Chanel eyeliner 

Lancome Cils Booster

I like applying mascara, like I relish it. I've never used a mascara primer until this one and lemme tell yuh, it's worth it. This will amp up any regular mascara and make the mascaras you love reach rockstar status. Yassssssssssssssss!

Lancome Cils Booster - www.modenmakeup.com

Speaking of mascara...

Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill

Drama. Drama. Drama. The best mascara I used all year. Heidi gave me this sample size and I'm fiending for the real deal. What I find very ironic is how similar the brush is to the YSL Faux Cils Shocking AND the L'Oreal Lash Architect 4D. Hhhhhhmmmmmm.

Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill - www.modenmakeup.com

Honourable mention:

Lorac Pro Palette

I didn't use it enough for it to have its proper place in the post but just for the layout, diversity of matte shades and sleek construction it deserves to be included. This is a must own.

Lorac Pro Palette - www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]

What eyeshadows did you use most in 2014?

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway #14 [CLOSED]

For the first time ever we linked a giveaway to a milestone. You can look back at our previous contests and see that things usually happened pretty routinely. Why? We love to shop! ...and shopping for others is always more fun 😁 All that to say, this one is very special because you made it happen. Thank you for taking the time to read what we share and then sharing with your beauty loving friends.

On to the good stuff...

Prize A


Kat Von D MetalMatte Eyeshadow PaletteLust Lashes 'Vanity' and 'Giselle'M.A.C mini lipsticks 'No Faux Pas' and 'Relentlessly Red'M.A.C Powder Blush 'Adobe Brick'M.A.C x Mariah Carey Extra Dimension Skinfinish 'My Mimi'Inglot AMC Brow Liner Gel '11'No Bleeding Lips Secret Lip LinerUrban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil (travel size) 'Zero'M.A.C x Star Trek Frost Lipstick 'Kling-It-On'Ardell Dual Lash ApplicatorM.A.C x Mariah Carey Lipglass 'Rainbow Interlude'M.A.C Pro Longwear Paint Po…

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…