Skip to main content

Top Ten(ish) Lip Products for 2014

Boy o boy, did my lipstick collection ever grow in 2014! So much so I thought this post wouldda been really hard to compile. Looking at last year's post and also the things I posted on Instagram made it a little easier. Please note: I haven't included the Nars Audacious Lipsticks that I recently got 'cause I haven't worn a single one yet.

rms beauty lip & skin balm 'simply vanilla'

I got this at the beginning of the year and I don't think it lasted to the middle. I really really am itching to buy another one BUT I'm trynna use other things up first.

Milani Anti-Feathering Lip Liner

I raved about it here. It's almost a stick form of the Too Faced Lip Insurance that I mentioned last year but wayyy cheaper.

NYX Butter Gloss

The best inexpensive lip gloss I tried for the year. This is a favourite of many vloggers/bloggers and with good reason. Check out my rave review here.

bareMinerals marvelous Moxie 'Maverick'

The best high end formula I've tried in 2014. Thank you Sharalee! Funny enough EmilyNoel83 just did a video on the Pantone Colour of the Year beauty products and listed this as one of the options.


NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream Heidi shared her thoughts about these here and I totally agree. I'm currently working on a liquid lipstick comparison post but I can tell you right now these are the most comfortable of the lot. My friends at Paradise Beauty Supply say customers have been hounding them about the infamous 'Copenhagen'; it's coming soon!

Cat Ears hand made by Jophiel Amparo
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream 'Monte Carlo' www.modenmakeup.com
'Monte Carlo' is another popular one

M.A.C 'Deeply Adored' LE

*cue angelic chorus* This is how I knew that I prefer dark red lips. It stains the lips, wears away evenly and isn't that crazy Ruby Woo matte formula - but it's still matte.

Photo credit: Narada Thorington for Daylight Photography

M.A.C Lip Liner 'Nightmoth'

Officially the darkest lip liner I have and yuh know how I feel about vampy lips.

M.A.C Lip Liner 'Nightmoth' www.modenmakeup.com
Check this post to see the details on this lip combo

Too Faced La Creme Color Drenched Lipstick 'Spice Spice Baby'


Too Faced La Creme Color Drenched Lipstick 'Spice Spice Baby' www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]

Bite Beauty errrthang So far I have tried their Luminous Creme Lipstick Duo, High Pigment Pencil and Matte Creme Lip Crayon and I am impressed with everything. Bite Beauty burst onto the beauty scene in 2014; "Bite is beauty for lips that’s good enough to eat. With highly pigmented, trend-forward color palettes, Bite’s hydrating formulas are infused with food-grade ingredients—so your lips feel as gorgeous as they look". The products are very soft so be careful where you store them.

Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil 'Rhubarb' www.modenmakeup.com
Bite Beauty High Pigment Pencil 'Rhubarb' www.modenmakeup.com
Bite Beauty products www.modenmakeup.com
Bite Beauty Luminous Creme Lipstick 'Violet' over OCC Cosmetic Colour Pencil 'Black Dahlia'
Bite Beauty Matte Creme Lip Crayon 'Aubergine' over M.A.C 'Nightmoth'
Simpsons Tee from Expressions Imported Clothing


I have purchased nine of these. Not all for myself but at $78BDS a pop that gotta be saying something. Check out the review here

Tom Ford Lip Color Sheer 'Paradiso' LE

I stayed away from corals/orange lipsticks for so long because I don't find them flattering on my skin tone. This baby came along in March 2014 and changed my mind a little. I think it has in just the right amount of pink to make it wearable. Also the "sheer" allows me to wear it as bold or muted as I prefer. Like the YSL formula I mentioned last year, it's described as "sheer" but it still stains the lips. This is my most expensive lipstick to date and it surely was worth it :) 

Tom Ford lipsticks www.modenmakeup.com
'Paradiso' on the right
Silk Cigarette Pant Suit by Katrina Brathwaite

Special mentions:

Estee Lauder Kissable LipShine 'Ibiza Kiss'

One of my most worn lip products of 2014 mainly because I keep it in my bag. The formula is the same as the M.A.C Sheen Supremes.

Estee Lauder Kissable LipShine Travel Exclusive www.modenmakeup.com


Ain't nothing wrong with supporting a local businesswoman. Get yours from Contour Beauty or Celebrity Spot in Bridgetown. I especially recommend the lip creams.


I'm impressed with the formula and the shade range. Maybelline has also released new shade for Spring 2015.

What lip products did you try for the first time in 2014?

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…