Skip to main content

Top Ten(ish) Nail Products for 2014

Last year was the year for sparkle. Up until then my favourite nail polish finish was cream but now I'm all about that multidimensional life. From the past few hauls you know my nail polish collection is outta control. Out. Of. Control. Here are a few of my loves from last year. Just a few cause I couldda added more.

Nail Treatment - Nail Tek Foundation II 

Since December 2013 I've been using this, mostly as a base coat. It proved itself all over again last year since I started using acetone nail polish removers. My current bottle isn't even finished but I have a backup waiting in the wings; I won't be without it.

Nail Treatment - Nail Tek Foundation II - www.modenmakeup.com

Base Coat - Butter London Nail Foundation 

If I just need a base coat without the treatment qualities this is the go to. It fills ridges if I didn't have time - or was too lazy - to buff my nail beds. It can also be worn alone in a pinch as a neutral polish.

Base Coat - Butter London Nail Foundation - www.modenmakeup.com

Special mention: Orly Bonder

I prefer this to the CND Stickey Base Coat. The CND is thicker so your manicure takes longer to dry especially if you have to use three coats of colour. I think these type of base coats significantly improve the application and longevity of cream finish polishes.

Orly Bonder - www.modenmakeup.com
Orly Bonder pictured here with Ruby Kisses 'Blues Clue' which was featured in 2013's favourites

Nail Polish Remover System - Maybelline New York Express Remover

It doesn't have to be this one. Just the mechanism alone made it less troublesome to remove polish. You might still have to go in the old fashioned way to remove stubborn glitter.

Maybelline New York Express Remover - www.modenmakeup.com

On to actual colours...

O.P.I Liquid Sands 'It's Frosty Outside'

Absolutely stunning and one of the better textured polish formulas I've tried.

O.P.I Liquid Sands 'It's Frosty Outside' - www.modenmakeup.com
O.P.I Liquid Sands 'It's Frosty Outside' - www.modenmakeup.com

Butter London 'Fishwife'

Just wow. I have tried three Butter London polishes so far and this is the only one I like.

Butter London 'Fishwife' - www.modenmakeup.com
Butter London 'Fishwife' - www.modenmakeup.com

China Glaze 'Ruby Pumps'

A cult favourite, and for good reason. The more coats of this you put on the better it looks. The glitter is dispersed so effectively in the red base that it looks 3D.

China Glaze 'Ruby Pumps' - www.modenmakeup.com
China Glaze 'Ruby Pumps' - www.modenmakeup.com

Zoya 'Payton'

In 2014 I also started watching a lot more nail polish vloggers on YouTube, so I heard a lot more nail polish vernacular. I think they'd call this finish a 'glass fleck'. It. Is. Beautiful. It had me staring at my nails in the sunlight.

Zoya 'Payton' - www.modenmakeup.com

Essie 'Licorice'

I used to be terrified to use black polishes but this formula is a dream to work with. It also dries very glossy and doesn't stain my nails.

Essie 'Licorice' - www.modenmakeup.com

Essie luxeffects 'Summit Of Style'

This snuck in on the last day of 2014 and I put it on that very night. It looks amazing on the tips of 'Licorice'. You knew I would love this since 'A Cut Above' from this same luxeffects line is one of my all time Essie favourites.

Essie luxeffects 'Summit Of Style' - www.modenmakeup.com

Something else 'Summit Of Style' looks great over...

Orly 'Rage'

Liquid rose gold metal. The End.

Orly 'Rage' - www.modenmakeup.com

This post wouldn't be complete without a nude polish.

Orly 'Coffee Break'

It's not a pink based nude like Sinful Colors 'Vacation Time'. This is damn near perfect for that "mannequin hands" look. And of course you know I love it with 'A Cut Above' on top.

Orly 'Coffee Break' - www.modenmakeup.com

Milani 'Sugar Burst'

This is another textured polish that surprised me with its gorgeousness. It looks great on its own but I am anxious to see what it looks like as a special effects top coat.

Milani 'Sugar Burst' - www.modenmakeup.com

CND Vinylux 'Married To The Mauve'

I pretty much love all dusty mauves.

CND Vinylux 'Married To The Mauve' - www.modenmakeup.com

Revlon Colorstay 'Amethyst'

A one coat wonder. This totally should have been in 2013's favourites.

Revlon Colorstay 'Amethyst' - www,modenmakeup.com

RGB Cosmetics 'Sea'

I am really impressed with all the colours I tried from this brand. 'Sea' is the most unique one I have to date.

RGB Cosmetics 'Sea' - www.modenmakeup.com

Special mention: Milani glitters

These babies are full of glitter so there's no fishing to get them on your nails; and the base is still thin enough that the product spreads evenly. Good enough to wear alone and amazing over a corresponding (or contrasting) base colour.

Milani 'Lavender Fizz' and 'Twinkle' glitters - www.modenmakeup.com
'Lavender Fizz' and 'Twinkle'

Have you tried any of the products mentioned? What colours did I miss out on? Let me know in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…