Skip to main content

My Favourite Real Techniques Brushes

Thanks for the support, advice, patience and even prayers regarding my last post. I truly appreciate each and every one of you!

Let's get it on...

On the Real Techniques site you'll find a lovely written bio part of which states: "In 2011, the Real Techniques brush collection was launched. Unbelievable brush quality was paired with professional, interesting, fun education from Sam and Nic. The launch day was memorable, as women from around the world started pouring to the website to learn more about this new brand. Fairly quickly, a global community of women who loved makeup began to form. Not only do they have a strong connection to Sam & Nic, but they also connect with one another — piping in on social media to answer questions and give input.

Today, the brand has taken off in the US, UK, and around the world. Sam and Nic continue to grow as top makeup artists, writing columns for national magazines and newspapers, appearing on major network television as beauty experts, and editing their own digital magazine. Through Real Techniques, women everywhere are transforming their makeup routines, and themselves, with the approachable expertise, friendship, and tools from Sam & Nic
".

The line can now boast of producing eight brush sets, 22 single brushes, one beauty sponge as well as two makeup kits. All of the brushes are synthetic and cruelty free. Of those I have tried a few and in this post I will tell you my top picks. Some of this information won't be new to you if you've already read my Top Ten Brushes posts for 2013 and 2014.

[Click photo to shop]

Buffing Brush

Available only in The Core Collection, the Buffing Brush is marketed as "ideal for full coverage application of powder and mineral foundation". It does do that, as well as nicely apply liquid foundation. Another gem that is across the board for all these brushes is how well they wash up.


Setting Brush

I've heard so many Content Creators on YouTube rave about this brush that I had to have it. The hype is real this time guys. "The key to completing any look with a controlled dusting of powder or highlighter"; I haven't used it to apply highlighter yet but I do set my under eye concealer with it. Perfection.

[Click photo to shop]

Contour Brush

Another exclusive to The Core Collection: "delicately applies highlighter to contour or create sheer, soft-focus finish". I've used this to blend out the edges of my blush if I went a lil H.A.M, apply contour powder or as the site suggests. I have a small angular face so the neat circumference of this brush's dome is very appreciated.


The Core Collection as a whole is a great set since it also includes the "panoramic brush case" which "is a 2-in-1 case + stand".


Fan Brush

This is the only reason I bought the Collector's Edition Sculpting Set from The Marketplace. As you know I've gotten a lot of highlighters lately and I wanted a good small fan brush to apply them. This duo fibre one strikes the perfect balance because it's airy without being flimsy. They really need to make this brush available singly. 


[Click photo to shop]

Deluxe Crease Brush

The perfect companion to my Caviar Sticks. "... soft, oversized design for effortless contouring". I've never used it with a powder eyeshadow but I'm sure it works well with that too. Again, another standout point is how well these wash up. Especially appreciated when used to apply long wear pigmented cream products.

[Click photo to shop]

 Lash-Brow Groomer

"This precision groomer is essential for defined, separated lashes and beautiful brows". This was the first lash comb I heard of that was made of metal. It makes mascara clumps disappear.


Detailer Brush

"...precision cut to effortlessly conceal problem areas; or, use with lipstick for long-lasting shape and definition". I love using this for potted/panned lip products or to clean up the edges of my lips for that perfect pout.


The sole issue that I have found with these brushes is when something sticky came into contact with the rubberized handles. I couldn't get them cleaned effectively even after using Goo Gone. So I covered them with electrical tape to ease my frustration.

The Real Techniques line can be found at quite a few drugstore retailers in the US as well as online on Amazon.com etc. Many of mine I purchased in Jamaica at Significant Details - Kemisha has reminded me that she ships to Barbados :) - and when we can we stock them in The Moden Makeup Marketplace as well. The Multi Task Brush from the Travel Essentials Set is next on my list since Tara says it's an absolute must have.

Share your favourite Real Techniques products with us in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…