Skip to main content

Support Local


I like brand name things as much as the next gal. We have been programmed to think that those big label name products automatically are made better with better ingredients/materials. Well, time and knowledge - everything is on the interwebs - has revealed this to be false more often than not. A lot of these labels maintain their astronomical profit margins buy using cheap ingredients, even cheaper labour and then pricing the items with ridiculous markups.  

But this post is not an economics lesson. I'm here to give you my personal experience. You would have seen me speak very highly of a few local body care producers on this medium. Namely: Ibis Bath and Body, Tsalach Natural Products and Eden's Choice Naturals. The market isn't limited to these companies by any means as was reinforced when I visited Bliss Experience in Quayside earlier this year; The Wild Bohemian and Ginger Lily Soaps products were proudly on display.


And they're more.

I does tell myself the same way I could throw money behind dese already rich people that cares nuffin bout me I could, at the very least, give my countrymen a try. I'm not on a soapbox telling you to support mediocrity by any means; just saying don't write locally made things off without even trying them.

My very personal example: it was last year I believe that I decided to stop purchasing body lotions. That was my nod to being more #greenbeauty conscious...or was it that I was really impressed with the many ways my homie RoShane uses coconut oil? Yuh know, the skin is the largest organ and we shouldn't put anything on it that we can't ingest and all that. I was on a mission to use up my back log of Bath and Body Works and Avon creams and hopefully move to using coconut oil exclusively. Well I haven't bought any big ones but...


... a YouTube rave brand and a new Bath and Body Works scent caught me. What can I say? I find minis the perfect size for my handbag. Funny enough I reach for lotion mostly right before bed but I digress...

Imagine my surprise when our friend that works at Collins, Sophia, said she had some stuff for Heidi and I to try that her daughter made. I was very intrigued from the time she mentioned it because I love to support young people who are talented with their hands; I just admire people who make things! If you checked out Moden's Instagram lately you would have seen this post about Krysiee's Essentials (432-0004):


Krysiee makes candles, bath salts and body butters. I decided to give the Shea Butter Body Butter a try, just on a whim.


I'm not familiar with this type of thing so the whipped texture completely took me by surprise. But...but then how it melted and spread and made my skin glisten. OMG. Why am I buying massed produced tings for $15+ when this right here is only $10?! Then as if the universe were reinforcing a point, Gerri gave me one of her 'One Love' lotions as a gift with purchase when I bought a batch - yes a whole batch - of her 'Peppermint' soap. But Gerri, how one ting could smell so good?!


The Lotions are $12 for a 4 oz. and $20 for 8 oz. 

4 oz. bottles on the display table at #CurlsNiteOut 

Ok, ok I am listening.

Don't think I'm advocating not supporting the stores owned by Caucasian and Middle Eastern people on the island. At the end of the day, they employ many of us and those dollars are the same ones that send our children to school and feed our families. 
Now the economics lesson - Any economist worth his salt would tell you that in a recession the last thing the markets need is citizens not spending any money. What we do need to do is keep that money circulating with our local ecosystem...aka live a little so everybody can eat.

Moral of the story: check out what local entrepreneurs are making first then make your purchases to suit.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…