Skip to main content

Ordering From Nars

Online shopping...the blessing and the curse.

Well to be honest I guess the only real curse is getting the products here without paying a liver and a kidney. Usually we wait until someone is travelling and ask them to do us a favour. But suppose you didn't have the time...or patience for that?

Usually I let T.E.A.M Imports or my fellow beauty product junkie Sharalee handle my overseas purchases. I prefer the no fuss option of hearing a final price, paying and getting my items. But recently I decided to go through the process myself to get an idea of what goes on.

First stop was Nars.com. Since my trip to the Bleecker Boutique in April I had my eye on a few things. So I loaded them into my cart and proceeded to check out. Nars doesn't ship internationally so I had to enter a sky box address I have access to as the shipping address. Gone to add my billing address now - which has to be the address on your credit card account - and there is no provision to enter an address outside of options in the USA or Canada. Bummer.

Daniel had given us his business card so I resolved to call him the next day to see what could be done. I was really hoping to make an online purchase in hopes of getting some cash back using Ebates. But I also wanted to shop with Daniel since he had been so nice to us during our visit. The Nars staff is so nice; Daniel is actually at the Madison Avenue store for a while so a rep at 413 Bleecker took my information and passed it on to him.

In standard Daniel fashion, he apologized for me not being able to complete my order online, researched if he could send what I wanted to me directly - which sadly the company doesn't allow - and assisted me with placing my order. I gave him my credit card information over the phone and we followed up via email regarding the shipping. I made the order on August 20th. It reached Miami (the sky box) August 28th via FedEx. Everything arrived intact; and Daniel graciously sent a handwritten thank you card and a lot of samples :)


I'm a little fuzzy on the date it actually reached Barbados since Customs held the package until they received an official invoice stating the breakdown of the order. The paperwork is dated September 16th though.

This is all stuff I was lusting after since April with the exception of the relatively new limited edition 'Tribulation' blushes. If you want to see my first impression of the Audacious lipstick formula you can read this post. Fret not thyself, you know a lip swatch post is coming.

So the total for three lipsticks, two blushes, one lip gloss and a body oil? $241USD - my card was charged $488.94BDS . Yeah, not a figure to scoff at. Shipping was free due to the amount of money spent. The real question now was how much was Customs gonna charge for this package. Breakdown is as follows:

Import Customs Duty: $96.40
Environmental Levy: $0
VAT: $101.22
Processing Fee - Declaration: $10

Laparkan's fees:

Insurance PMB: $2.04
Air Freight: $22.39
PMB Handling: $25

Total: $257.05BDS

NB: I was told by the owner of the sky box that he paid a one time fee of $50BDS. I have to double check to see if that's really the case. Excluding the sky box fee the grand total was $745.99BDS. Worth it or a rip off? Let's discuss it in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Mask Monday | Peter Thomas Roth Therapeutic Sulfur Mask

This is the first mask I've seen that advises users not to use "large areas of the skin".


From their site: "Medicated masque with 10% Sulfur, purifying Kaolin and Bentonite Clays dries, clears up and helps prevent acne. Designed to exfoliate the skin's surface with natural Sulfur at the maximum OTC level, absorb excess oil and help purify clogged pores. Soothes and calms the appearance of skin with Aloe Vera.

Benefits - 10% Sulfur - max OTC level clears up, treats and prevents acne and blackheads.

Kaolin & Bentonite Clay - a type of clay that helps to absorb excess oil.

Aloe Vera - helps calm and hydrate the appearance of skin.

Uses

• For the treatment and management of acne.

• Clears up active acne blemishes and blackheads.

• Helps to prevent new acne blemishes and blackheads.

Warnings

For external use only.

When using this product
Skin irritation and dryness is more likely to occur if you use another topical acne medication at the same time. If irritation occurs, on…