Skip to main content

Favourite Lip Liners #LipSwatchWeek

What's a #LipSwatchWeek without mentioning lip liners? I have so many lip liners it's ridiculous...and looking at them to compile this post I realised they're mostly brown or mauve/berry toned. I like what I like. Sue me.

Most of these will be no surprise to regular readers but I guess it's still convenient to have them listed in one place.

Too Faced Cosmetics Perfect Lips Lip Liner 'Perfect Spice'

I'm surprised I don't have more of these. This formula is so soft you could easily fill in your entire lips and wear it as a lipstick. The packaging is also completely colour coordinated - so no getting lost amongst the madness - and it features an ergonomic 'finger rest'? Man it's just easy to use all around.

Too Faced Perfect Lips Lip Liner 'Perfect Spice' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
Too Faced Cosmetics 'Melted Nude' + 'Perfect Spice'

Absolute New York Long Wear Waterproof Gel Lip Liner 'Berry'

Cheap and sweet. I believe the waterproof claim too; in the arm swatch you'll see at the end, this product was the most difficult to remove (with soap and water).

Absolute New York Long Wear Waterproof Gel Lip Liner 'Berry' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
Too Faced Cosmetics 'Melted Peony' + Absolute New York 'Berry'

L.A. Girl Endless Semi-Permanent Auto Lipliner 'Cocoa'

Another very inexpensive option. Actually, the cheapest line in this entire post.

L.A. Girl Endless Semi-Permanent Auto Lipliner 'Cocoa' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
M.A.C 'Runway Hit' (Retro Matte) + L. A. Girl 'Cocoa'

L.A. Colors Lipliner Pencil 'Sienna'

My most used lip liner ever. Ever.

L.A. Colors Lipliner Pencil 'Sienna' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
M.A.C 'Pander Me' LE (Matte) + L.A. Colors 'Sienna' GORGEOUS!


I wouldn't have gotten this if not for Sharalee's recommendation. Thanks girl. This formula is similar to the Too Faced Cosmetics ones.

Nars Velvet Lip Liner 'El Agua' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
Nars Audacious 'Dominique' + 'El Aqua'

NYX Lipliner Pencil 'Plum'


NYX Lipliner Pencil 'Plum' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]

Jordana Quickliner for Lips 'Bordeaux'

Another nicely priced option.

Jordana Quickliner for Lips 'Bordeaux' swatch www.modenmakeup.com

Sephora Nano 'lovely lilac'

Another treasure that Sharalee introduced me to.

Sephora Nano 'lovely lilac' swatch www.modenmakeup.com

The last three lip combos were paired with M.A.C 'Mystical' LE (Cremesheen), M.A.C PatentPolish Lip Pencil 'French Kiss' and Urban Decay Sheer Revolution Lipstick 'Sheer Rapture' but I can't recall which is which. When I told you that I live in that pink/mauve based nude lipstick world I wasn't kidding.

M.A.C Lip Pencil 'Nightmoth'

A cult classic. The darkest of the dark.

M.A.C Lip Pencil 'Nightmoth' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]
Tom Ford 'Rouge Fatal' + M.A.C 'Nightmoth'

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) Cosmetic Colour Pencil 'Black Dahlia'

OCC's products are 100% vegan and cruelty free. Their Cosmetic Colour Pencils may be used on the lips, eyes or body. Shades with red pigment, like this one, aren't recommended for use in the immediate eye area though.

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (OCC) Cosmetic Colour Pencil 'Black Dahlia' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]
OCC Lip Tar/Matte 'Black Dahlia' + 'Black Dahlia'

Favourite lip liner swatches www.modenmakeup.com
L - R: OCC 'Black Dahlia', M.A.C 'Nightmoth', Sephora 'Lovely Lilac', Jordana 'Bordeaux', NYX 'Plum', Nars 'El Aqua', L. A. Colors 'Sienna', L.A. Girl 'Cocoa', Absolute New York 'Berry' and Too Faced Cosmetics 'Perfect Spice'

Something to note: 0.01 oz = 0.283 grams. So I dunno why Too Faced is saying their 0.01 oz is equivalent to 0.4 grams or why Nars says theirs is equivalent to 0.5 grams. I guess that doesn't matter if you find a unique shade but when you have inexpensive lines like L.A. Girl giving you the same 0.01 ounces for a fraction ($5USD/$4BDS in Cherish) of what the Too Faced ($17USD) and Nars ($24USD) cost, it's something to consider.

Did I include any of your favourites? What brands am I missing out on? Let me know in the comments.

#ShamelessPlug: We have deluxe sample sizes of Too Faced 'Melted Peony' available in The Marketplace. As well as some Lip Combo kits which include the L.A. Girl Endless Lipliners. And there's also one M.A.C 'Mystical' LE in there too.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Top Ten Sephora VIB Sale Recommendations

It's that time again. I'm not sure of the dates as yet but one major thing has changed: Sephora no longer ships to commercial addresses 😡I discovered this recently after two of my orders were cancelled. Their customer service said it is something they were cracking down on since late July. Stupse. Sephora clearly ain't care about those of us who have to use mail forwarders. Soooooo yeah...less hauls for me in the future which I am annoyed about. More money for Beautylish den *insert Kanye shrug*

Regular readers have seen my wish list posts every time the sale is approaching. I love watching these types of videos on YouTube so I always want to throw my hat in the ring. There are a couple recommendation posts on this blog as well but this year I wanted to narrow it down to my top ten. Now, of course they're plenty favourites I'd like to mention but in efforts to make this concise...

please click all links provided for more information

Sunday Riley Good Genes


After con…