Skip to main content

My Love/Hate Relationship With Persa-gel 10

This could have been a 'Would I Repurchase?' post if only I could make up my mind...

#TeamModen has told you numerous times that Clear Zit is totally #TeamModenApproved. That's the 10% Benzoyl Peroxide formula not the 2% Salicylic Acid version.

Dr. Sheffield's Clear Zit Benzoyl Peroxide - www.modenmakeup.com
Seen in Collins
[Click photo to shop]

Not only does it have the same active ingredient as other 'bigger brand' over the counter acne medication; it's a fraction of the price. Collins couldn't keep that on the shelves long enough and honestly I never finished an entire tube because as soon as Heidi ran out of hers she would commander mine. This post isn't about Clear Zit though or why we're mad AF that Collins replaced it with an imposter. It's about the way more expensive Persa-gel 10 from Clean & Clear.

Clean & Clear PERSA-GEL10 Acne Medication - www.modenmakeup.com
Seen in Paradise Beauty Supply
[Click photo to shop]

From the site: "What's great about it - CLEAN & CLEAR® PERSA-GEL® 10 Acne Medication is a unique formula that goes to work immediately, releasing the medicine deep into the pores where pimples start. This maximum strength Benzoyl Peroxide acne medication is the same prescription formula recommended by doctors.

Recommended for - Skin Need: Pimples.

Directions - 
  • Because this is a medicine, it’s super important to start with clean skin.
  • So wash your face then apply a thin layer over the affected area. You can do this up to 3 times a day.
  • But be smart. If your skin starts to dry out or peel, reduce your use to once a day.
  • Know that clearer skin is in your future!

Ingredients -

Active Ingredients

Benzoyl Peroxide (10%)

Inactive Ingredients

Carbomer Disodium EDTA Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose Laureth-4 Sodium Hydroxide Water

Warnings

For External Use Only.


When using this product
- Skin irritation and dryness is more likely to occur if you use another topical acne medication at the same time. If irritation occurs, only use one topical acne medication at a time.
Do not use if you
- Have very sensitive skin.
- Are sensitive to benzoyl peroxide.
When using this product,
- Avoid unnecessary sun exposure and use a sunscreen.
- Avoid contact with the eyes, lips and mouth.
- Avoid contact with hair or dyed fabrics, which may be bleached by this product.
- Skin irritation may occur, characterized by redness, burning, itching, peeling, or possibly swelling. 

Irritation may be reduced by using the product less frequently or in a lower concentration.
Stop use and ask a doctor if
- Irritation becomes severe.
Keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away".

I remember telling The Mistress on the post where I hauled this that Persa-gel 10 is overpriced. That there was no need to be spending $20+ on a 10% Benzoyl Peroxide treatment when Clear Zit retails for a little over $5. Granted this was before I even used the Clean & Clear version but still...the goal is always to save money right?

Fast forward to this late this year: I was not getting the desired results from the 2% Salicylic Acid version of Clear Zit so I decided to reach into the stash and pull out this more expensive acne treatment. I guess the first thing I noticed were the similarities: same white lotion, same easy spreadability (is that a word?) and the same amount of product. At this point I'm thinking that Johnson & Johnson are a bunch of crooks. They could definitely sell this cheaper.

A few days pass. I use the product on the target areas faithfully each night. I know these acne medications can be use up to three times daily but I never remember to use them other than at night. Let me state my experience with benzoyl peroxide: what I appreciate about it is its ability to cut down the "lifespan" of pimples. Some people use this type of thing regularly to prevent pimples but I just treat the inflamed areas when I see something forming. Sadly, I am a picker as I have admitted to before. So what I want is for something to get the face demons - as Heidi calls them - to that extraction point as fast as possible.

Persa-gel does exactly that; and while I loathe the cost I can't lie and say it doesn't work. What's more, I think it's less harsh on the skin than Clear Zit. Anyone familiar with topical acne medication knows that skin dryness/tightness and peeling are common. When I used Clear Zit after about three nights I would see those dry patches. Not so with Persa-gel, so much so that I've actually used the whole tube. This also has me thinking that maybe somehow the Clear Zit is more potent...or maybe the Clean & Clear version has less harsh ingredients. Whatever the case, I guess I'm trying to say an argument can be made for both. Except if you have extremely sensitive skin or you and benzoyl peroxide doan get on; then I'd say stay away.

Let us know your experience with either or both of these products in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway #14 [CLOSED]

For the first time ever we linked a giveaway to a milestone. You can look back at our previous contests and see that things usually happened pretty routinely. Why? We love to shop! ...and shopping for others is always more fun 😁 All that to say, this one is very special because you made it happen. Thank you for taking the time to read what we share and then sharing with your beauty loving friends.

On to the good stuff...

Prize A


Kat Von D MetalMatte Eyeshadow PaletteLust Lashes 'Vanity' and 'Giselle'M.A.C mini lipsticks 'No Faux Pas' and 'Relentlessly Red'M.A.C Powder Blush 'Adobe Brick'M.A.C x Mariah Carey Extra Dimension Skinfinish 'My Mimi'Inglot AMC Brow Liner Gel '11'No Bleeding Lips Secret Lip LinerUrban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil (travel size) 'Zero'M.A.C x Star Trek Frost Lipstick 'Kling-It-On'Ardell Dual Lash ApplicatorM.A.C x Mariah Carey Lipglass 'Rainbow Interlude'M.A.C Pro Longwear Paint Po…

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…