Skip to main content

Stash Status: M.A.C Brushes

I'm sure M.A.C brushes can be found in every professional makeup artist's kit. They're like OGs no? Of course in recent years cheaper alternatives like Real Techniques and copy cats - at least initially - like Sigma have eeeked out their corner of the market. But M.A.C tools are still associated with the Pros as being workhorse tools created with the artist in mind.

As I said recently, I'm not an artist but I do believe in investing in great brushes. This is my current M.A.C brush collection.

M.A.C brushes www.modenmakeup.com

Face brushes

This category all features a number starting with '1'. Something I clearly forgot before I took this shot below because I left out the '195'. Smh. In addition to the M.A.C logo and number of the brush, there's usually also the country in which the brush was made stamped into the handle. M.A.C brushes are by and large well made; I've never had a problem with ferrules becoming loose or handles breaking. I have however experienced shedding with some of the face brushes. The biggest culprit being the '129', both the SH (short handle) and the regular version.

M.A.C face brushes www.modenmakeup.com
L - R: 125SE, 129SH, 190, 109, 137, 130

Eye brushes

These are classified with a number starting with a '2'. I believe this is where M.A.C shines in the brush department. Some of the most popular ones are the '217', '224' and '239'. These are some of the highest quality brushes I have in my possession. 

M.A.C eye brushes www.modenmakeup.com
L - R: 195 (not an eye brush), 239, 217, 224, 226, 219 and 221

Brush kits

I'm not the biggest fan of the brush sets. While the standard brushes are hand cut and made in Japan or France these limited edition edition ones are machine cut and produced in China. To be fair, I haven't bought one recently, but as far as I'm aware the quality just isn't the same. That said, the eye brushes still outperform the face ones in this mini category too.

M.A.C Special Edition brushes
T - B: 204SE, 275SE, 212SE, 168SE and 187SE

My recommendations

By no means do you need these. You've seen me rave about cheaper brushes from Zoeva, ecoTools and Real Techniques. However, the quality of M.A.C brushes can not be denied and they are readily accessible in Barbados. If you are going to give them a shot I'd try: 109, 127, 129, 138, 159, 217, 221, 224, 227, 239 and 275. Feel free to read up more on those on the M.A.C website.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…