Skip to main content

e.l.f vs. Ilia Lip Exfoliators #LipSwatchWeek

I believe it was Emily whom I first saw raving about the e.l.f Lip Exfoliator from their Studio line. From then I was on the hunt. I mean, a lip scrub in a lipstick bullet form sounds amazing to me. Sadly, they took a while to show up in Barbados. One day while in Pure Source I saw the Ilia version.

Ilia Lip Exfoliator www.modenmakeup.com

From the site: "Have you ever used a lip exfoliator in a stick form? We suggest you give it a try. Organic ingredients blended with tiny granules of volcanic stone powder, gently exfoliate the lips leaving a smooth, kissable surface in its place. Follow up with a conditioner of your choice to seal in moisture and bring your pout back into balance.

Ingredients: Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil*, Volcanic Stone Powder, Jojoba Seed Meal*, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil*, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Beeswax (Cera Alba)*, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit*, Titanium Dioxide, Tocopherol, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil. *Certified Organic Ingredients. Ingrédients Certifiés Biologiques".

The tube contains 0.12 oz or 3.5 grams and retails in Pure Source for $74BDS LP or $59.50BDS DF. I've been using mine for a while and I am truly impressed with the results. This is the first tube exfoliator I used and I immediately appreciated the ease-of-use. The consistency of this Ilia one I found to be gritty (it's a fine grit don't worry) - I guess that's the volcanic stone powder - and effective. Yet it never left my lips feeling dry. The product wipes away easily and when I did happen to get it in my mouth, which was every time, the taste wasn't horrifying. Not nuh lemonade but nothing to make me gag either.

Ilia Balmy Nights Lip Exfoliator www.modenmakeup.com
Ilia Balmy Nights Lip Exfoliator www.modenmakeup.com
Ilia Balmy Nights Lip Exfoliator swatch www.modenmakeup.com

In January 2015 I finally saw the e.l.f one in Get Set.

e.l.f display in Get Set, Wildey www.modenmakeup.com
posted on our Facebook page January 19, 2015

e.l.f Studio display in Get Set, Wildey www.modenmakeup.com
e.l.f Studio display in Get Set, Wildey

Much later in the year they arrived in iMart Stores.

e.l.f display in iMart, The Walk www.modenmakeup.com
e.l.f display in iMart, The Walk

From the site: "Details - Gently exfoliate lips to remove dry, chapped skin with our Lip Exfoliator! A sweet sugar and smoothing sensation, infused with Vitamin E, Shea Butter, Avocado, Grape and Jojoba Oils to nourish and protect. This Lip Exfoliator treats and smoothes lips for a conditioned and revitalized feel.

How To USe - Apply to clean, damp lips and massage in a circular motion to exfoliate. Use a moistened cotton pad with water to gently wipe away scrub. Follow with a lip balm or gloss to condition.

Ingredients - Sucrose, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Ozokerite, Fragrance (Parfum), Synthetic Candelilla Wax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve)
".

Each tube contains 0.16 oz or 4.4 grams. I got mine from Get Set for $10BDS and I believe iMart sells them for $12BDS. While I did purchase this a while ago I only opened it this week. #LipSwatchWeek is akin to lip trauma; compounded by the fact that I still don't drink enough water. Anyho...I'm trying to give this product the benefit of the doubt. Maybe mine went bad...

e.l.f Lip Exfoliator www.modenmakeup.com
Brand new
e.l.f Lip Exfoliator www.modenmakeup.com
After one use

I do remember Emily saying that the exterior of the product was waxy but once yuh get it going it was smooth sailing. Well, in my attempts to get it going the bullet broke. That ain't even the worse part; this thing was very difficult to apply. The sugar granules I guess would do their job of exfoliation but the other components seemed pretty dried up. Mind you, this is Barbados...every melts round here. After I hastily wiped the product off I was left with this sticky, waxy coating on my lips. But the absolute worse part was the taste. O. M. Gee. I am a person that tries to make things work yuh see - for science - but not this time. This here gine in the garbage.

e.l.f Lip Exfoliator swatch www.modenmakeup.com

I am tempted to buy another one and try again. Why? Well you can do that math; for the price of one Ilia Balmy Nights I can get six of the e.l.f version (using the iMart price). Additionally the e.l.f one contains more product. It would be a total win. Ilia does produce the better product if you're strictly considering ingredients but to be honest, it's not something that's gonna stay on your skin for any great length of time so that ain't enough to justify the price difference in my book.

Colour me disappointed man.

Popular posts from this blog

Giveaway #14 [CLOSED]

For the first time ever we linked a giveaway to a milestone. You can look back at our previous contests and see that things usually happened pretty routinely. Why? We love to shop! ...and shopping for others is always more fun 😁 All that to say, this one is very special because you made it happen. Thank you for taking the time to read what we share and then sharing with your beauty loving friends.

On to the good stuff...

Prize A


Kat Von D MetalMatte Eyeshadow PaletteLust Lashes 'Vanity' and 'Giselle'M.A.C mini lipsticks 'No Faux Pas' and 'Relentlessly Red'M.A.C Powder Blush 'Adobe Brick'M.A.C x Mariah Carey Extra Dimension Skinfinish 'My Mimi'Inglot AMC Brow Liner Gel '11'No Bleeding Lips Secret Lip LinerUrban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil (travel size) 'Zero'M.A.C x Star Trek Frost Lipstick 'Kling-It-On'Ardell Dual Lash ApplicatorM.A.C x Mariah Carey Lipglass 'Rainbow Interlude'M.A.C Pro Longwear Paint Po…

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…