Skip to main content

The Blush Tag

I saw Niki Murphy do this video recently after being tagged by Kimberly Clark. Check out their videos below.



Of course this topic interested me. Blush and concealer were my first makeup loves. So after much deliberation here are my picks.

The blush with the best packaging

Right out de gate dem giving me brain fever. I couldn't pick just one. *warning*: this is a reoccurring theme. If we're talking fancy packaging I would give it to Dior; the weight and design of the compact is gorgeous and it comes in a velour sleeve. A very close second is the new Urban Decay Afterglow blushes; undeniably beautiful. If you like a little spunk you gotta love the Balm. "So many men, so little time..." wha dah could be my motto. All three of these products seal by magnetic closure.

Christian Dior, Urban Decay and the Balm blush packaging www.modenmakeup.com

The blush with the prettiest colour

Another tough one. Sometimes products look good in the pan but then on your skin...not so much. These three shades look amazing when warmed up on the skin. I believe that's due to their colour and formula.


The blush with the most pigment

Gotta give it to Sleek MakeUP and La Femme Cosmetics.

La Femme 'Sienna' and Sleek Blush by 3 'Sugar' www.modenmakeup.com
La Femme 'Sienna' and Sleek Blush by 3 'Sugar' swatches www.modenmakeup.com
La Femme 'Sienna' and Sleek Blush by 3 'Sugar'

Your everyday blush

Orange tones look best on us chocolate babies so my default would always be some orangish/terracotta something:

M.A.C 'Bad Girl Gone Good' LE #ShamelessPlug there's one of these available in #TheMarketplace.

A party blush

I guess this question was to encapsulate more "out there" type of shades but yuh know we does wear whatever whenever:


A blush you regret purchasing

Now by no means is this a bad product. I just would never really get through this type of thing.

Tarte Cheek Stain 'Blushing Bride' www.modenmakeup.com
Tarte Cheek Stain 'Blushing Bride'

The blush you use the least

Easy. Somewhere along the way me and pink blushes fall out.

M.A.C Mineralize Blush 'New Vibe' www.modenmakeup.com
M.A.C Mineralize Blush 'New Vibe' LE

The blush you use the most / would never let go of

I actually split this into two. The blush I use the most would be the one from my last Project Pan: Milani Minerals 'Sunset Beach'. A very close second runner up is Milani 'Fantastico Mauve'; I honestly love all their baked blushes.

Milani Baked Powder Blush 'Fantastico Mauve' www.modenmakeup.com
Milani Baked Powder Blush 'Fantastico Mauve' swatch www.modenmakeup.com

If a blush I purchased isn't working for me I'd post it promptly in The Marketplace in hopes that someone would love it more than I do. But if a product is given to me I tend to hold on to it. Hence the blushes I would never let go of are all gifts:

Black Radiance 'Toasted Almond'; the first product I had from this brand. Thanks Heidi!
Bobbi Brown 'Lilac Rose'; my first Shimmer Brick :) Thanks Sharalee!
Estee Lauder 'Pink Tease'; from my first gift package from a company, and it was Estee Lauder *faint* Thanks Marcela!

Black Radiance 'Toasted Almond', Bobbi Brown 'Lilac Rose' and Estee Lauder 'Pink Tease' www.modenmakeup.com

Your favourite blush brand

Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd question. I am so tempted to say NARS...but I really really like Becca's mineral blushes. 

Your greatest blush discovery of the year

I'll speak for 2015. Hands down the Clinique Cheek Pop/Blush Pop formula. Pick a shade that you like and you will appreciate how easily the soft texture blends and builds.

The most practical blush

Laura Mercier 'Ritual' cause you've seen me say over and over that this can't be overdone on our skin tones.

Laura Mercier Baked Blush Bronze 'Ritual' www.modenmakeup.com
Laura Mercier Blush & Glow Radiant Face Trio www.modenmakeup.com

The least practical blush

My sole loose powder blush. Gorgeous colour though that's why I can't part with it.

Maybelline Mineral Power 'True Peach' www.modenmakeup.com
Maybelline Mineral Power 'True Peach'

The most expensive blush

Tom Ford...for now.

The least expensive blush

I've purchased a couple Jordana blushes in my time but presently the most inexpensive thing in my collection is that La Femme blush

Let me know your answers in the comments ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…