Skip to main content

First Impression | Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer

Clinique really threw themselves back into the forefront of a lot of beauty lovers minds' recently. First with their Cheek Pops and then these.

Clinique says: "Clinique Pop™ Lip Colour + Primer
Luxurious yet weightless formula merges bold, saturated colour with a smoothing primer. Glides on effortlessly to a modern-velvet finish. Colour stays true, keeps lips comfortably moisturized for 8 hours. Allergy Tested. 100% Fragrance Free".

Looking at the US website, I just realised that these all claim to have a demi-matte finish. The US website and Sephora.com have 16 shades listed. Clinique's UK website has 24 shades in demi-matte, semi-matte (or was that a typo?) and unlisted finishes. I have three of them which I purchased from Cave Shepherd, who apparently gets the UK stock since two of the three aren't listed on the other sites.

Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer www.modenmakeup.com
L - R Bare Pop, Party Pop and Sugar Pop
Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer www.modenmakeup.com

I bought mine for $47 each. Each bullet contains .13 oz / 3.9 grams of product.

First off I love the packaging. I wish every lipstick had some manner of shade indicator featured on the packaging; it makes storage/organisation a lot easier. Though the caps aren't magnetic they do fit securely in place and even the tactile 'Clinique' hot stamp label gives the line a fresh, sleek edge.

Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer 'Bare Pop' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
'Bare Pop'

Although I swatched these in the store I was not prepared for the amount of shimmer that is in 'Bare Pop'. I've come to appreciate the dimension that shimmery lip products add to my lips but I don't like when I can feel the shimmer particles. I think 'Bare Pop' would be great to layer over darker colours but you gotta be prepared to have that golden shimmer sticking around long after the actual lipstick has worn away. Definitely not my favourite.

Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer 'Party Pop' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
'Party Pop'

The surprise winner of this trio. If you follow Spring trends, this is the lipstick for this time of year. It's a straight cream formula; it also stains. I must note that only the Sephora site offers descriptions of which shades are shimmery or cream. So if possible try to swatch these in person before you purchase any.

Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer 'Sugar Pop' swatch www.modenmakeup.com
'Sugar Pop'

The packaging trick me here...or should I say that my lips are too pigmented for this shade to show its true colours. This would be a very pretty nude on someone with a lighter skintone. Like 'Party Pop' this is cream formula.

All of these applied very easily. As to be expected, 'Party Pop' required less building to reach opacity than its nude counterparts. I'm even more interested to try the deeper shades like: 'Cola Pop', 'Rebel Pop' and 'Berry Pop'.

Clinique was correct is stating that these are fragrance free. I can't detect anything other than a faint "lipstick" scent and there's no added fragrance listed in the ingredients. With regards to the "comfortably moisturised for 8 hours" claim I'll have to get back to you on that; probably in a Stash Status post after I've picked up some more flattering shades. There are a number of oils, emollients and waxes listed in the ingredients which probably lends to that claim. As far as a built in primer goes I don't know what that is besides silica which is present in a lot of lipstick formulas...plenty cheaper ones too.

Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer swatches www.modenmakeup.com

Let me know if you've tried any shades from this line :)

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…