Skip to main content

Your Beauty Questions Answered

If you watch our YouTube videos you know we can talk. There are those who can make short videos and those that will compete for the time of your favourite Tv show. Same with blogging; I don't write press release or makeup collection preview posts. I write reviews and comparisons...so they have to be certain length if they're gonna be anything worth reading.

All that to say, there's no way I could put your responses into one post. I don't know what I was thinking.

So let's start with Kerisha's question. She wants a recommendation for a good primer for oily skin.

Ahhhhhh boy. The plight to combat greasy face. Made particularly difficult by this lovely tropical heat. Kerisha is a regular reader so I know she knows of my love for the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. Sadly that's not readily available and it's also expensive - $52USD for 1 oz or $18USD for 0.33 oz. Another personal favourite is the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector but again, that's not sold in Barbados. Let us know if we should add those to The Marketplace.

I've seen Beauty Vloggers say that NYX Angel Veil is Hourglass' dupe.

Seen in Paradise Beauty Supply

I haven't tried it myself but just from swatching the texture does feel similar.

I've also recommended using Milk of Magnesia in the past. This is a very popular oil control method, but you will still need to use an additional product if correcting uneven texture is also a concern. Further research has shown me that this isn't something you should use everyday though. So save it for those special occasions.

Heavily silicone based primers I would absolutely stay away from. Not only can they clog your pores and cause acne, I've found that they make me look even more greasy as the day progresses. Check out my review on the NYX Shine Killer here, and the one on L'Oreal's Revitalift Miracle Blur (Oil Free) here. Silicone does smooth the skin's texture but I've found that too much causes problems.

Two unsuspecting products that worked well as primers for me are the Clarins Ecran Multi-Protection SPF 40 - due its matte finish - and the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster. The latter contains glycerin which adheres to anything placed on top of it. That's the reason why M.A.C Fix + amps up a pigment's sheen and why people are falling in love with the men's post shave balm. I haven't tried any of those as a primer btw due to the high alcohol and fragrance content. 


The most important thing I want to impress upon you though, is that no one product will prolong the wear of your makeup. Note I didn't say keep you matte cause flat matte skin is not the business. We want to look glowy and youthful but we don't want our foundation to melt off. This requires a process: drink more water, prep the skin based on its concerns, apply as little product as possible (especially foundation; let concealer do its job) and then set the products in place.

Kerisha also likes to torture me it seems and threw in the additional difficult query of my 'must have' skincare and makeup products. This post is already long enough so I'll quickly list my Top Five of each category.

Skincare:

clay mask (doesn't have to be expensive)
exfoliator (physical and chemical; gotta have both types)
rms lip & skin balm (cause it can also be used on the cuticles)

2 + 4 + 5 + time = the only way to clear up hyper pigmentation.

I'm adding in Stephanie's Morning Skincare Routine here cause her product arsenal is #goals.


Makeup:

pink/mauve nude lipstick (gotta 'low me a cheat man this is hard!)

I hope that helped :)

Please check out the links provided for additional information.

If you have a concern you'd like to hear my thoughts on please leave it in the comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…