Skip to main content

Travel Essentials | Makeup

In efforts not to overpack, I've attempted to put only makeup essentials into one small bag. You should have already read the skincare version to this post. Here's what I took on my recent trip to New York:

Makeup Travel Essentials - www.modenmakeup.com
[Click photo to shop]
Yup, that's it. I fully intended to purchase makeup remover wipes and a mascara from a drugstore so I didn't bother to walk with those. I took a sample of the Becca Backlight Priming Filter 'Radiant Finish' and I really liked it; though my Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster doubles as a primer. If you're shocked that no liquid foundation is there please remember that I am a) lazy and b) am big fan of spot concealing and then finishing with a powder.

The funniest part is, I wore a full face of makeup one single day. I kept my base products relatively simple: a colour corrector to camouflage dark spots/areas of hyperpigmentation, two different shades of concealer (a half shade lighter than my complexion - the Estee Lauder - to brighten my under eyes and one that matches my skintone - the M.A.C one) and finally one powder to set everything. Since New York is mostly chilly and windy in April/May I took my most lightweight powder.
The most striking products were the Becca Spotlight 'Opal' all over the lid with 'Junkie' stealing the show smudged into the lashline - even the Manager at Make Up For Ever noticed it. 'Party Pop' was stellar on my lips and fit right in with the Spring that New York was supposed to be having.

Sharalee and I heading out to The Beauty Tour - www.modenmakeup.com
Sharalee and I heading out to The Beauty Tour

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils 'Junkie' and 'Rockstar' - www.modenmakeup.com

The combo below works amazing to define full(er) brows. It's so low maintenance; you gotta try it.

L'Oreal Brow Artist Plumper 'Medium/Dark' and NYX Wonder Pencil 'Dark' - www.modenmakeup.com

Let us know your travel must-haves in the comments. 

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…