Skip to main content

Mask Monday | DIY Clay and Charcoal Mask

Housekeeping: Shai Simone please contact me via lucinda@modenmakeup.com asap.

I had dis hey tuh do eva long time since...but how my laziness set up 😒 In hindsight, that was totally unwarranted because it's an easy process.

DIY Clay and Charcoal Mask ingredients - www.modenmakeup.com

I've purchased Rhassoul Clay before from Pure Source Barbados but this handy travel sized packet came from Healthy Kinks. "Rhassoul clay is rich in magnesium, silica, potassium, and calcium, which all help to nourish your skin. The molecular structure of Rhassoul clay gives it a unique ability to absorb excess dirt and oil, as well as extract impurities from the skin. (That’s why Rhassoul clay used as a face wash or face mask is so effective!)"A smart beauty blogger would have measured how much clay she used...but alas...in the Caribbean we accustomed to eyeballing things right? Right.

DIY Clay and Charcoal Mask ingredients - www.modenmakeup.com

The desired outcome is a paste so use enough to achieve that. I added two activated charcoal capsules but I think one would have been sufficient. $16.85BDS for 50 capsules from Fresh Vitamins. Charcoal is said to draw out "bacteria, poisons, chemicals, dirt and other micro-particles to the surface of skin, helping you to achieve a flawless complexion and fight acne."2 Feel free to read up more on it here. I read somewhere that it's best to mix this type of thing in a ceramic bowl; basically don't use any metal utensils. 

DIY Clay and Charcoal Mask applied - www.modenmakeup.com

I soon discovered that the paste was more than enough for my face so I also treated my underarms. If you're familiar with apple cider vinegar you know that scent is something serious, hence my expression above. Be very careful with this mixture around your eyes. Let me mention here that this is not recommended for sensitive skin. The apple cider vinegar might cause minor skin irritation even on oily skin folks. I say minor because some areas of your face might be red afterwards. If you have sensitive skin please use honey instead of apple cider vinegar.

DIY Clay and Charcoal Mask dried - www.modenmakeup.com

Above you'll notice that the mask dries down. You don't have to wait until it gets to this stage. Especially if you feel more than a slight tingling. After removal I did notice slight redness around my nostrils and on my cheeks. My skin didn't feel overly dry but I always follow up clay masks with a beauty/facial oil. My skin did feel very smooth and clean 😍 I'd definitely recommend this treatment for oily and acne prone skin. This is something I will try to do twice a month.

Let us know in the comments if you've ever used rhassoul clay on your skin or hair.

Sources:

1 - 'Herb of the Week: Rhassoul Clay' by Annmarie Gianni. https://www.annmariegianni.com/herb-of-the-week-rhassoul-clay/

2 - 'What Does Charcoal Do for Skin?' by Alexandra Early. http://www.livestrong.com/article/550610-what-does-charcoal-do-for-skin/

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

posted on our Facebook page April 12, 2013 "DUPE ALERT: M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Dark vs Maybelline Fit Me! in 355 Coconut. Both look the same applied to the face and are the same texture when swatched. The Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is bigger by 1 gram but the Fit Me! is significantly cheap... *ahem* more "inexpensive". There is one shade darker in the M.A.C version but 355 is the darkest shade in the Maybelline. (I'm NC50). If you go through a lot of face powder it's worth a shot - LR"
Talk about a throwback!
I watched a dupe video on YouTube recently where this comparison was mentioned and it reminded me that I had the same thought a while ago. The finish on the skin is identical. Since this original post M.A.C has changed the packaging on their Mineralize line and Maybelline has rebranded/re categorised the Fit Me! range into: Dewy/Set + Smooth and Matte + Poreless.
M.A.C says: "A slow-baked powder with 77-Mineral Complex that provid…