Skip to main content

Mask Monday | Vitamasques Bamboo Charcoal Mask

This review is extra special because I didn't write it ๐Ÿ˜€Very often in the past I've given one of my friends a product to try so I could include their experience in a review. It's truly 'the more the merrier' around here: we can't possibly know everything therefore when we all share our thoughts the better we all will be for it. So when I decided to buy a new sheet mask I say lemme get one for Marsha since she's been asking about pore tightening products. She was under no obligation to do a review; I just asked that she let me know how it worked.

Marsha clearly decided to #updeting...and mek my eyes spring water in the process. Here is her review on the Vitamasques Bamboo Charcoal Mask:

"I am a regular reader of the Moden Makeup blog and value Lucinda and Heidi’s opinions on makeup, but especially on skin care products... so, I was more than eager to give my two cents worth on the Vitamasques Bamboo Charcoal Detoxifying + Pore Tightening Korean Face Mask.

This was my first time using a sheet mask (and to be honest, I didn’t realise it was one until I opened it. Note to self – always examine the packing!) I know Korean beauty products are currently trending so I was excited to give it a try.

A bit of background about the mask…

From their website: "Bamboo Charcoal Sheet Mask – Detoxifying + Pore Tightening

Detoxifying and pore tightening Korean face mask made with extracts of Activated Bamboo Charcoal to clarify your skin. Inspired by Korean innovation, a triple layer sheet technology designed to enhance the moisture content within the mask and lead to an increased absorption rate within the skin.

Activated Bamboo Charcoal: Purifying + Pore Tightening

Bamboo charcoal can be dated back to the Ming Dynasty, where Chinese healers used this “black diamond” to formulate medicine and filter water. Activated bamboo charcoal is charcoal that has been pulverized and steamed, giving it a larger surface area to absorb toxins, impurities, and other harmful substances from your skin. Leaving you with clearer, healthier skin. Due to this capacity of drawing out impurities from the skin, it is therefore an effective, natural treatment for acne.

Directions of Use:

  • Wash and cleanse your face in preparation of applying your mask
  • Remove the mask from its packaging and place it tightly on the face avoiding the eyes and lips
  • After 20 minutes, remove the sheet from the face and gently pat your face to let the remaining feel absorb into the skin
Cautions: Avoid contact with eyes. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with water. Use with caution if you are highly sensitive to bandages or material with compressed moisture. Do not use the product on an exposed wound on the skin, areas of eczema or infection. If any symptoms or indication of the following issues arise, please discontinue use and talk to your dermatologist as it may aggravate the condition (rashes, swelling, itching, skin irritation)"

Ingredients
I couldn’t find an ingredients’ list anywhere. However, I noted that water is the first ingredient, while the ‘essence’ included glycerin (3rd), alcohol (6th), hydrogenated castor oil (10th) as well as a slew of leaf and flower extracts."

First Impressions


The packaging was quite easy to tear open. The mask itself wasn’t what I had anticipated (not in a bad way, just surprised). Charcoal for me is usually associated with something that will dry on the skin and ‘suck out’ impurities but I could tell this wasn’t going to be the case. The ‘felt material’/tissue-like mask sheet had a slimy/gooey feel to it (like tissue saturated with dishwashing liquid). It was well saturated and material seemed durable. You did not have to be overly careful with it to avoid tearing etc. Not much liquid remained in the packaging after taking out the sheet.

REN Clarimatte Cleansing Gel and Vitamasques Bamboo Charcoal Mask - www.modenmakeup.com
Products used
The Process

After cleansing my face with the REN Clarimatte T-Zone Control Cleansing Gel (#ModenMakeupMadeMeDoIt), I dried my face with a paper towel and applied the mask. It fit well with adequate spacing for the eyes and lips while covering the forehead and jawline. It also was fairly snug and didn’t feel like it would slip off if I walked around. There was a slight tingle, but nothing of concern – more of a sensation that there WAS something on my face. There is also a light ‘fresh’ smell which shouldn’t affect those sensitive to scents.

Vitamasques Bamboo Charcoal Mask applied - www.modenmakeup.com
Looking like a ‘masked’ bandit

I left it on for about 17 minutes. After that time, it felt virtually as moist as it did when it was initially applied. On removing the sheet, there was, as expected, a ‘residue’ (not very sticky but not water-like) on my face which I then pat into my skin as per the instructions.

Vitamasques Bamboo Charcoal Mask after effects - www.modenmakeup.com
Immediately after removal
The After

Afterwards, there was no tightness; my face felt moist and supple – not the kind of feeling I would have associated with a detoxifying/pore tightening/charcoal mask (maybe it’s time for a change in thinking). There was a ‘slight’ tacky feel similar to what obtains after applying some serums. Visible pores aren’t really a major concern for me, so I cannot really attest to the product’s ‘pore tightening’ qualities. There was one pimple on the left side of my face that shrunk a little after using the mask.

Vitamasques Bamboo Charcoal Mask after effects - www.modenmakeup.com
After patting in

Overall, it’s a relaxing 10 to 20-minute experience as the mask stays cool and moist. Those with dry skin will also welcome the hydrated feeling after use. I have combination/oily skin and my dry areas – my cheeks, around my mouth, under eyes – felt very moisturised after use."

Wow. Marsha you did an excellent job. As I told her, I'm not even sure if I need to do a write up on this product now. The only things I can add are: I purchased this from Beauty Bay for $5.40USD. They ship straight to Barbados and my orders usually go to my local post office. Secondly, here's a list of the ingredients as stated on their packaging:

Vitamasque Bamboo Charcoal Mask ingredients- www.modenmakeup.com

Bless you Marsha ๐Ÿ˜˜

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Mask Monday | Peter Thomas Roth Therapeutic Sulfur Mask

This is the first mask I've seen that advises users not to use "large areas of the skin".


From their site: "Medicated masque with 10% Sulfur, purifying Kaolin and Bentonite Clays dries, clears up and helps prevent acne. Designed to exfoliate the skin's surface with natural Sulfur at the maximum OTC level, absorb excess oil and help purify clogged pores. Soothes and calms the appearance of skin with Aloe Vera.

Benefits - 10% Sulfur - max OTC level clears up, treats and prevents acne and blackheads.

Kaolin & Bentonite Clay - a type of clay that helps to absorb excess oil.

Aloe Vera - helps calm and hydrate the appearance of skin.

Uses

• For the treatment and management of acne.

• Clears up active acne blemishes and blackheads.

• Helps to prevent new acne blemishes and blackheads.

Warnings

For external use only.

When using this product
Skin irritation and dryness is more likely to occur if you use another topical acne medication at the same time. If irritation occurs, on…