Skip to main content

Beauty Sponge Woes

We love when your request align with posts we already have in mind so please keep 'em coming!

This one goes out to Lasonta Sealy *wink*

Beauty sponges (damp) give a streak free finish to foundation that look seamless and more 'skin like'. They can transform heavy long wear foundations (eg: Revlon ColorStay) to make them appear far more breathable whilst retaining their staying power. Say goodbye to cakeface! I particularly love them for their ability to blend in foundation at the hair and jaw line.
This post could also be dedicated to Ashley, whom since I recommended the Beauty Blender to her said she's never using a foundation brush again :D I don't feel the same way, since sponges can also make you use more product (especially with liquids). In this keek, I used three pumps of the M.A.C Pro Longwear applied with my Pro Beauty Blender and I could still see my post acne hyperpigmentation.

The Original Beauty Blender landed on the scene and created quite a stir. Now, blending sponges are nothing new but something about the shape and texture of this one straight shook the game up. From the site: "Now you can look like a movie star without the pricey services of a major make up artist. Introducing Beautyblender, the ultimate make up sponge applicator. Invented by top Hollywood make up artist Rea Ann Silva, Beautyblender has been created to leave you with a professional finish and a flawless complexion. Silva knows that the key to a perfect face is simple: a perfect blend. So forget your fingers or sharp-edged triangular sponges, these application methods waste make up and can leave visible streaks. Beautyblender’s patent-pending elliptical shape makes application foolproof by allowing you to access hard-to-reach areas with stunning ease. Its suede texture is sensual to the touch and its unique curves fit the contours of your face, leaving your make up dazzling and undetectable. Beautyblender is latex free, non-allergenic and odor free".

I had my first Beauty Blender, the pink one, for a while and still haven't used it. Why? I didn't want to run the risk of not getting it back to its original colour. OCD, I know I know. When they launched a black Pro sponge I was all on dat like filter on an Instagram pic. I love it. But the problem is the price ($28.95USD for a set of 2 or $19.95USD for one pink one, at Sephora. Available locally from Exotica Makeup and Extensions) and that's where the hunt for a dupe comes in.

Beauty sponge comparison - www.modenmakeup.com
Sponge round up (l - r): SOHO, Beauty Blender, Unknown (purchased from Exotica Makeup and Extensions), Studio Basics, M.A.C.

Beauty sponge comparison - www.modenmakeup.com
Price (l -r): $7.53USD, $28.95USD (for 2), $25BDS, $8USD, $9USD

Where to start? Sigh

Ok. First off, nothing I have tried thus far compares to the Beauty Blender's texture. The closest, in my humble opinion, is the Studio Basics. I purchased the latter's Expert Complexion Sponge in Jamaica from Significant Details but I have seen them locally in Bio Beauty (435-9306).

Studio Basics Beauty Sponge - www.modenmakeup.com
As seen in Bio Beauty, Coconut Walk, Hastings.

If you don't have any qualms about how these sponges stain, the next issue would be tearing. The SOHO sponge doubles in size like its Beauty Blender and Studio Basics counterparts but it is more susceptible to rips/tears; I guess that's due to its elongated shape. Granted, all of the softer sponges are so great care has to be taken when using and washing them that you don't dig your nails in. Heidi purchased this for me last year and hers already mash up.

SOHO beauty sponge - www.modenmakeup.com

On the point of washing, another valid concern is bacterial harbouring since sponges retain moisture sometimes no matter how long we let them air dry. Tati from GlamLifeGuru recently shared a tip on YouTube about how to combat the spreading of germs.


Beauty sponge comparison - www.modenmakeup.com
Check out our latest give-away for your chance to win a Studio Basics Expert Complexion Sponge

The Original Beauty Blender sponge comparison - www.modenmakeup.com
The Beauty Blender doubles in size when wet

Of the sponges available from Exotica Makeup and Extensions, I'd go with the Beauty Blender. I haven't tried the Miss Adoro version (pictured below) but the unlabelled one is too firm, retained a white residue from the soap I tried to clean it with (which reminds me, this really holds on to your liquid foundation), and is now falling to bits (see second photo). Melissa Raymond did the video below comparing the Dr. Bronner's bar soap to the Beauty Blender Cleanser Solid. I tried the lavender bar soap on that unlabelled sponge and it never was the same.

 

A range of beauty sponges is available from Exotica Makeup and Extensions $25 - $49.99 BDS.

I have nothing good to say about the M.A.C All Blending Sponge. I hope I've just been using it wrong.

The increasing popularity of the Beauty Blender has encouraged numerous brands to produce their own version. While I love my Pro Beauty Blender I'm still hoping to try a few others.

Lasonta hoped I had an opinion on the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my hands on it as yet but here are a few videos that can assist your decision to purchase it or not:


TheSocialiteLife, she's NSFW.

When I have tried it I will post my comparison. Additionally I also want to try Laura Mercier's 4-pack sponges, that I've heard so many great things about. 

What are your thoughts on beauty sponges?

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

It's A Dupe!

Long time no dupe.

Corny? I know. I try.

Faithful readers would have seen me rave about the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, a.k.a Face Cement, numerous times. Well, we have a dupe: The Make Up For Ever (MUFE) Step 1 Skin Equalizer Mattifying Primer. I knew it instantly. So instantly that I've used the MUFE twice and decided that it's ridiculous to keep both since they are the same.

You can read all about the Becca primer in the link above so I'm just going to talk about the MUFE version here.

swatches straight from the tubes swatches blended out
Can you tell which is which? No? Well, neither can I.
From the MUFE site -  "Details: STEP1 Skin Equalizer triples the power of your foundation: easier application, optimized makeup result, improved wear. STEP1 is the range of skin equalizers developed to refine, smooth and even out. Our exclusive Equalizer Complex delivers 3 key actions:

- APPLICATION : makeup goes on seamlessly
- RESULT : optimized color & finis…