Skip to main content

First Impression: Colleen Rothschild Radiant Cleansing Balm

When Heidi said she was getting this for us to try I was elated. As I said in this post I've heard so much about this brand and this product in particular that I was anxious to get my hands on it.


From the website: "What is it? Comprehensive Radiant Cleansing Balm effortlessly dissolves all traces of eye and face makeup. 
Includes 1 Muslin Cloth

What is it formulated to do? Clears congested pores, and removes impurities, leaving skin balanced, soft and radiant. Unique blend of Loofah Seed and Moringa Oil improve skin integrity by renewing the outer-layer skin cells while restoring the skin's flexibility and equilibrium during daily cleansing. With continued daily use, skin becomes velvety smooth and more luminous.

Formulated without:
Parabens
SLS/SLES Sulfats
Phthalates
Triclosan
Formaldehyde
PABA
Toluene
Benzene

Additional info you need to know: Youth-restoring Nigella (Blackseed) Oil helps to visibly improve compromised and problematic skin, while precious Marula Oil nourishes and revitalizes.

100 ml (3. 3 fl oz)
  • Can be used morning or night.
  • Place balm in clean, dry hands then rub together to warm product. 
  • Apply to dry skin and massage all over face.
  • Wet muslin cloth with hand-hot water and wring damp.
  • Place over skin for a mini-facial then use to wipe off balm.
  • Follow with a splash of cool water to leave you glowing. 
KEY INGREDIENT - ACTION

Moringa Oil  - restores luminosity

Lipexel™ - combats dehydration

Black Seed Oil - antioxidant protection

Aromatic Complex - calms & decongests

All ingredients: Paraffin, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-75 Lanolin, PEG-30 Lanolin, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Linum Usitatissimum (Flax) Seed Oil, Nigella Sativa (Blackseed) Seed Oil, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Moringa Oleifera Seed Oil, Luffa Cylindrica Seed Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Parfum(Fragrance), Eugenol, Linalool".

Looking up those ingredients I can tell you that this is mainly made of thickeners, emulsifiers, oils and fragrance. The ratings for that contents list based on Paula's Choice Ingredient Dictionary go from good to best to poor.


I take it the 'balm' nature comes from the oils solidifying at a cooler temperature. But due to the crazy heat Barbados has been experiencing this product has been a liquid solution from the time I got it. Thus, handling the jar is a lesson in patience since I don't want to spill not nary a drop. I used what product was on the lid since I figured it wouldn't take much for it to work.

I followed the directions to a T. My 'dry face' was actually full of makeup because I wanted to see how the product dealt with pigmented mascara and stubborn eyeliner. Well in true oil fashion, it broke down everything.


When I placed the warm Muslin cloth over my face and left it for a few seconds I understood why the YouTubers raved that "it feels like you're at a Spa". While the fragrances in the product are not good for your skin they definitely add to the aromatherapy experience. I wiped my face twice, rinsed the cloth with warm water and wiped twice more; taking special care around my eyes.

I always follow up anything like this with a facial cleanser so that's what I did. Whereas with makeup remover wipes there'd usually be some trace of maraca or liner, there was no residue after using the cleansing balm. 

The white cloth came back to its original state easily after I washed with Dawn soap.

Now you could say, if it's just a bunch of oils couldn't I just mix my own? Of course, in fact my girl Nikita recently shared her recipe. And that sure won't set you back the $65USD that the Cleansing Balm costs. So it comes down to personal preference. Are you a cosmetic/skincare purist? Do you have extra sensitive skin? Are you a product junkie? Let me know where you stand in the comments.

I am happy to have tried it and it will certainly be used. I'll get back to you on whether I would repurchase ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Riley Good Genes versus Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum

If you're an avid YouTube watcher you've probably heard about these products. Both brands blew up on the skincare seen in short order as expensive, but effective. If you're like me you quickly began to wonder: which is better? Short answer: it depends.


Long answer...

I've mentioned Good Genes a few times before on the blog. This 'all-in-one lactic acid treatment' is raved about by the likes of Stephanie Nicole and Caroline Hirons.

From the box: "Deeply exfoliates the dull surface of the skin for clarity, radiance, and younger-looking skin. Visibly brightens the appearance of age spots and discolorations. Instantly plumps the look of fine lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes*

*Clinically tested and proven to significantly improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles in 3 minutes. Results obtained via profilometry analysis.

With Key Ingredients:

Purified Lactic Acid: One of the most hydrating Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), Lactic Acid exfoliates the surface layers of t…

Top Ten Sephora VIB Sale Recommendations

It's that time again. I'm not sure of the dates as yet but one major thing has changed: Sephora no longer ships to commercial addresses 😡I discovered this recently after two of my orders were cancelled. Their customer service said it is something they were cracking down on since late July. Stupse. Sephora clearly ain't care about those of us who have to use mail forwarders. Soooooo yeah...less hauls for me in the future which I am annoyed about. More money for Beautylish den *insert Kanye shrug*

Regular readers have seen my wish list posts every time the sale is approaching. I love watching these types of videos on YouTube so I always want to throw my hat in the ring. There are a couple recommendation posts on this blog as well but this year I wanted to narrow it down to my top ten. Now, of course they're plenty favourites I'd like to mention but in efforts to make this concise...

please click all links provided for more information

Sunday Riley Good Genes


After con…